Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Random stuff from the Phreak shed.

98K views 1K replies 38 participants last post by  Sidecar Bob 
#1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread so that I can show you this motor I'm about to resurrect .... and some of the general CX stuff that doesn't go into build threads.

This motor

Auto part
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle
Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part

came as spare when I bought my 500C about 11 years ago. It's been sitting on a shelf ever since. It is a 78 block, which has the same 2045 first four digits of the engine number like every other 78 block or frame have here regardless of source. {I have parts from several different job lots}

Anyhow .... though the crank turns smoothly and there is no evidence of bearing failure I'm hoping that the crank and bearings are good as this is to be a cheapskate build, replacing only those things that really need it - and replacing all of the missing parts from the parts stash.

It will get new rings and chains, but likely good used OEM tensioner parts.Unfortunately, it came with my 500C. I say unfortunately because this individual was a ....... mechanical ...... butcher .... This motor shows evidence of his attempts to something something or something else this motor. My 500C had many horrors when purchased and I couldn't believe he'd actually been riding it.

Anyhow, the first thing I noticed when cleanup started was this.

Auto part Muffler Exhaust system
Auto part Metal

Why would anyone do this much damage? Presumably just to remove a collar .... with a cold chisel. And mangled the O ring face. I can fix that, with a dremel, JB weld and maybe a thicker O ring.

Moving on, I then found this

Auto part Water Wheel Tire Automotive wheel system

How does that happen? Subhuman intervention? I'll look at it when I pull it off tomorrow and make a judgement call whether it's usable. If not, I have another and I've a 50/50 chance it has the same sized bearing hole so I can transfer the bearing. I do have bearings, but I'm as tight as the fishes proverbial with them.

Pulled the gearbox and am dismantling, cleaning and checking it now.

And .... back to that. I note it's not cleaning itself.

Gear Gear shaper Auto part Hardware accessory Crankshaft
Auto part Gear Engine Automotive engine part Metal
Metal

See less See more
#882 ·
In reply to all of the above posts regarding the GL - hear you but it will probably be modded.
bought it expressly for the modded 650 engine and as its numbers match its registration the bike will be modified in a similar manner to the thingy. I have to get a front end temporarily on to the white 500C as it is preventing the GL and thingy from leaving the shed. The thingy is about to be registered and the GL is.

I want to use the GL for a while but it came to me with all of the touring gear removed. I have it though. I think I got all of the stock parts barring the instruments and carbs + runners. I will get some pics, likely over the weekend.

I've finished the thingys exhaust, aside from final assembly. Nearly finished the thingy take 2.

#884 ·
I may build the GL on the euro frame as a 500. The GL will be getting the front end, swingarm, wheels etc from that. A swap seems perhaps natural.

The GL hauls @ss. I have new rings for it and want to check the motor through so I will be dismantling it. While I cleaned up the ports some when I had it apart for Rob I didn't actually port it but will when I have the heads off again.

#885 ·
If you do cafe it, I would be interested in a stock seat and the cowl that covers the tail light when the top box is off for my GL500 if they will interchange.

#886 ·
There's just one problem with bringing the shopping home on a motorcycle ................ in Australia .............. in summer.

It melts .... and I'm not talking about ice cream. Even if you're parked for a short while the panniers and top boxes heat up to crazy temperatures. I used to have to leave my CX parked in the sun at a former employers location. A regular shift was 9 hours and I'd arrive at 5:45am. After work I'd click the ignition on (not starting the engine) and the temp gauge would rise 4 to 6mm. The gauge was not misreading or broken.
It just gets a bit hot here. :)

#889 ·
There's just one problem with bringing the shopping home on a motorcycle ................ in Australia .............. in summer.

It melts .... and I'm not talking about ice cream. Even if you're parked for a short while the panniers and top boxes heat up to crazy temperatures. I used to have to leave my CX parked in the sun at a former employers location. A regular shift was 9 hours and I'd arrive at 5:45am. After work I'd click the ignition on (not starting the engine) and the temp gauge would rise 4 to 6mm. The gauge was not misreading or broken.
It just gets a bit hot here. :)
Same applies to putting the side of lamb in the car boot or on the back seat...unless you have aircon...
There is that ad about lamb backstrap cooking in the car on a mild day...
🐑

#887 ·
Don't leave children or pets in the panniers.

#888 ·
I've heard of people lining motorcycle trunks with styrofoam and putting one of those frozen gel filled things in to keep it cool...

#891 ·
I come out of the shops with the bag already filled, climb on the bike and head home. Loading the bike would just add a further step at either end of the homeward trip.

Occasionally I'll fit my tank bag if I think I'll need it though.

Finished the thingy today.

Here's the finished muffler which I'll go into further detail on in the thingys own thread.

Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Bumper Engineering

Automotive tire Tableware Kitchen utensil Wood Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Crankset Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

I pulled a front end off of a bike down the back shed to fit to the wounded 500C. This was mainly so I could move it to get the thingy and the GL out as I'll likely rego the thingy tomorrow. Looking at it fitted made me think that the front end of the frame wasn't so far out of whack. Some checking showed that while twisted it was still in line with the rest of the frame. The radiator being pushed to the side gave the appearance that it was not. Engine is centred under the frame.

So ..... feeling I had nothing to lose I put a 6 foot or so piece of steel pipe through the steering head and hit alternate ends of this with the dead blow hammer, checking periodically.

I ended up with this, which I'm fairly happy with.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

The front end is truer than my photo angle. The discs are now at right angle to the ground now though.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I'll tentatively call that a win and will assemble the bike with a decent set of forks enough to take it up and down the street.

As the bikes rego papers show it to be red I will paint another tank and sidecovers candy red to match. ASSuming that the bike is viable.

#894 ·
Naaaahhhh , I saw this survival video and I'm gonna try stuffing the rear wheel drive with spinifex and twigs ............. should work according to the TV. :D

...... on second thoughts don't chuck the dead ones out just yet please.

#896 ·
The 'C' will live again Dave.

I got a little work done on this at night through the week and over the weekend.

I bashed back, ground out and welded up the steering stop and ended up with this.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle fork Automotive tire

I cleaned up and painted a yoke and triple clamp. The yoke is duplicolor caliper paint, baked. The triple is Aussie export rubbish. It's all I could get at the store I went to. I'll be looking for something else tomorrow. This was dried for 3 days and was tacky when baked. After several 150 C cycles it was .... still a little tacky.

These were fitted with new bearings.

As the brake discs appear to now be buckled I've made the decision to convert to single disc to use a set of single disc forks I had already rebuilt and polished. I have a rebuilt caliper and a new 14 mm master in my parts. I'll hunt out a suitable disc and likely have a new brake line made locally. Braided SS.

I knocked the dents out of the right hand headlight mount and straightened the indicator mount and both headlight mounts as the lot was twisted..

Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Vehicle Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior

I'll have to scrounge out or buy a headlight.

The instrument bracket has been straightened and the damaged chrome bucket replaced and the instruments are ready to refit.

The rad mounts are bent and one of the soldered brackets has pulled so I'll have to resolder that when I straighten the mounts.

Here's the offset before removal.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Vehicle brake Rim

The front tyre is no longer holding air either. Something else to be investigated. I'm guessing cr@p in the bead.

#897 ·
I have a chrome Honda headlight bucket in the attic that looks exactly like that one, including the gray primer. I guess they stay shiny outside but rust inside because nobody ever cleans the inside ;-)

The paint sounds like it is missing an ingredient, or maybe formulated for wood or something like that instead of metal.

#898 ·
Here's a couple of my bearing installation tools, just to show that you don't need to spend money on these things.

The old bearings make ideal driving faces if you slightly reduce their diameter on a grinder or bench sander.

This is my tool for installing the lower race to the frame. It is a cup from a tapered bearing welded to a handle. It also installs two of the gearbox bearings - the 6204 and 6205.

That's the new bearing to be installed sitting on top. The reduced diameter of the 'tool' bearing means that it won't stick in the frame.

Fashion accessory Drink Wood Barware Machine

This one fits the race to the yoke and uses an old lower ball bearing race which places the driving face where it's needed - the centre of the bearing.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bicycle fork Wheel

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Electric blue Machine

The grey inside of that one is coldgal spray .... yes it was a bit rusty. 😱

#899 ·
I just used whatever primer I had on hand. It was on my GL1100 for about 10 or 11 years until I changed to the HID headlight and needed something deeper and still looked OK when I took it off.

I like that you show your homemade tools. Sometimes homemade tools are better than the ones you can buy.

#900 ·
Except for the special clutch socket I bought al;l of my CX special tools are home made. Being a cheapskate aside you are lucky to find them and then you have to wait for the post. It's quicker to make them. Allied to some scrap metal they cost me nothing..

I ground down a rusty rear axle today. It is my new axle drift for the stubborn ones.

I paint my home made tools in blue killrust paint for 3 reasons.

It protects them from rusting.

It denotes them as 'not a part'.

It denotes them as 'not rubbish'.

😁

#909 ·
ROFL ....... ahhh funny. I saw one of those "owners" the other day ..... (the term "owners" is quite questionable). He fumbled his way through the gate then quite amusingly fell off. Just to make my day he got angry with the bike and started punching it till he broke the lower fairing !!

#908 ·
There was a topic? 😁

In other news I have made a minor mod to the thingys muffler inserts.

It occurred to me that some of the noise was internal 'thud' caused by exhaust pulses coming up against a 'wall' {the muffler end cap} when exiting the front pipes. There is about a 35 mm gap between the two.

So I drilled a sideways facing 10 mm hole in the end of each one to attempt to mitigate this.

They are now slightly quieter with less internal thud and the power has gone up a little.

If I have them apart again I will increase the hole size to 12 mm.