Honda CX 500 Forum banner

561 - 580 of 586 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Not a lot going on here at the moment.

I've pulled the centrestand off of the white 500C, stripped it, painted it and put it back. Swapped the headlight shell and rim for the one from my blue 500C {best going to blue}, cleaned up and repainted the passenger footpegs and fitted them along with the exhaust system.

Fed it fuel through my remote fuel bottle, cranked out the oil light several times and started it.

It runs fairly well, makes no undue noises and blows no smoke.

It did initially have a coolant leak from a split in the thermostat bypass hose but this was replaced. Ran up to operating temperature and the cooling system burped.

Will do the first retorque before starting it again.

Other than that I've been cleaning up more wheels and this continues.

Also rebuilt a couple more sets of keihins and a 41 mm keihin flatslide.

My camera has several photos of various things I'll upload in due course.

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
I'll take some photos when my batteries have recharged but I've just pulled down a set of 500C carbs belonging to an Australian member. They are in the dip until tomorrow when I'll run them through the ultrasonic a few times.

These have a number of aftermarket parts that I will be returning to standard.

The secondary emulsion tubes have really small drillings compared to OEM Keihin and I will be returning most of these parts to original.

112s were fitted to the primaries and also apparently to the secondaries. The secondary jets are unmarked for size but also appear to be 112s making for funky 112/112 jetting.

As these will be running pods I'll jet appropriately.

Cleanup of wheels continues ....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
you teased us with the mention of the CB450....will that be soon forthcoming? (no pressure...just askin;))

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 · (Edited)
The 450 is still a little way down the list but as this year is its 50th birthday I intend to get this started this year.

The white 500C is nearing finished. Next up is my blue 500C which should be fairly quick as it's fairly good other than needing the frame painted and the engine gone through for a bearing inspection and whatever remedial action is required.

I will also be fitting it with tapered roller steering bearings as I only replaced the balls last time around about 13 years ago now as the races were still fit to use. Have already bought the replacement bearings.

Then the 450. :)

·
Registered
1978 CX500, 1983 CX650E
48 Posts
I also have two CB450s. A K5 bought for my wife from a dishonest (now Ex) friend, and a K1 in need of considerable fettling (see pic). I need more time. I need more energy. Just imagine what I could do if I had both (and more funds)!

·
Registered
1978 CX500, 1983 CX650E
48 Posts
the makings of a possible build thread, Dave.....:)
A friend's father died and this was found in his fibre-glassing shed/workshop. He'd owned it since his courting days.

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
Hey Dave ..... fix it fix it fix it.

Just updating this thread with photos while waiting for an ultrasonic cycle.

In the last set of CX carbs I rebuilt I found ACVs with NOK on them. I've not seen this before but often by the time I see them they're basically falling apart and this info may be long gone.

Then I found this in a Keihin CR.

I guess they were OEM suppliers to Keihin.

A couple of pics of that CR.

Before

And after cleaning.

Current victims running through the ultrasonic after spending last night in the dip. These have some issues but will be sorted.

112/112 jetting .... not sure what's up with that but will be jetted for pods. Strangely, there were no idle jets fited. These are the screw in variety.

EDIT - this is actually the last set I did. These had bent mixture screws and damaged mixture screw threads. The plumbers tape gives it away. These bodies were trashed so were rebuilt onto another set.

Todays victims in the ultrasonic.

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
Still going through wheels and have 2 sets of 78 comstars done. One set needed the spokes painting but are now presentable after stripping the corrosion, polishing the rims and painting the spokes aluminium. Bolt heads are silvagal.

Here's the rear early in the process.

And the finished pair.

Currently on a front reversed comstar.

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 · (Edited)
They work well for the purpose. I have two tagged left and right but in this instance all is in one as these parts are already mixed up. I've referred to them a few times before but called them tea balls.

Which now reminds me. I was going to photograph the aftermarket secondary emulsion tubes alongside the OEM. There is a large difference in the size and placement of the holes. These too I will be returning to OEM.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
A friend's father died and this was found in his fibre-glassing shed/workshop. He'd owned it since his courting days.
As per Mark, fix it.
If not a full resto..then maybe a slightly customized?.....That series was something that gave Brit bikes of the day a bit of a scare..

Back to CXs....

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
This set of carbs have had a few issues.

The right slide was sticky and reluctant to move to the top and bottom of the movement range, sticking at a couple of points.

This was traced to a plier? mark on the end of the inner tube that slides into the cap.

This was filed, sanded and run up and down for a while with autosol in the sticking area and now moves as it should.

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
This set of carbs finished and will be posted back to Paul on Monday. If he's lucky he'll receive them before next weekend which is a long one for Easter.

I replaced the right choke shaft and butterfly as they were rusty.

New hardware was cut to length and slotted on the end with a dremel cutting wheel to allow for peining. The screws were also installed with blue locktite to be doubly safe.

The throttle butterfly in the same carb was misaligned and the butterfly wasn't closing. This would make balancing difficult if not impossible. Probably not coincidentally the adjustment arm from the right carb needed to be rebent to align with the correct clearance and the adjustment in the middle of the range.

These carbs were full of ebay parts, most of which I removed and refitted OEM parts.

Out with the new and in with the old.

Note difference in length of main needles.

I did elect to use the aftermarket mixture screws after checking their fitment. No binding at the tip and safe to use. This kits contents may not be indicative of the parts that may be in one you might buy. Use OEM or caution.

When I clean carbs I run a modified mixture screw with cut flutes in to make sure any mineral crud in the threads is gone and then test fit the mixture screws without the spring/washer and O ring. This allows me to feel for any resistance that may indicate a problem.

The seated screw should show about 2 mm of tip in the venturi. If all good fit the spring etc. and install.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
It's like a carburetor class, nice work! I've seen the 85/120 jet sizes before (or there abouts), what is the 45?

Reactions: Tombat

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
45 is the stock size idle jet. They come in other sizes. The ones in aftermarket kits are usually 40s and sometimes I bore them out to 50s.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Interesting. There usually isn't much discussion of the idle jets on the forum. What can be gained (or lost) by varying the idle jet size?

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
I don't use the kit 40s but I guess they may make your bike use less fuel.

But enlarging the jet to a 50 helps bikes with pod filters to draw fuel at idle and above and can mean that you don't have to go as big as a 90 on the primary jet.

While these were built with 85s I still left the idle jet the stock size. Mainly because the non adjustable float/needle combo give a float height a poofteenth short of 15 mm even. Not worth buggering with and it will give a slightly rich idle.

Our fuel may be different to US fuel but that 90 jet is plain rich here and soots the plugs quite often.

I generally jet for pods at 45 or 50/85/118 and I have been known to recontour slide needles and play with slide weight.

561 - 580 of 586 Posts