Honda CX 500 Forum banner

521 - 540 of 560 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
Likely not. The arborist that came to look at a tree in the yard offered me a good price as a job lot.

I doubt I'll take it.

He actually wants to buy a hobby and I'm enjoying mine too much.

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
I get where he's coming from. Large parts stashes are like gold to come across and not particularly common.

Many of my parts are also ready to be fitted rather than stuff that looks like crap. Mind you, I'm still working through parts.

He may buy the white 500C in a single deal though.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No hijack. It was me that took the thread in the direction of prices.

CXs appear to have no particular pricing structure as they've never become particularly desirable and prices in Oz tend to be all over the place on the basis that they are simply worth what someone is prepared to pay.

But this $7,500 is more than I would value the thingy or the Ozdeluxe at, both of which have significant use of NOS parts within the engines and elsewhere.

The white 500C currently in my shed will be sold once complete. My proposed value? $2,500 - $3,000.
I know what you mean...but some of us lose sight that modern machinery blurs the picture....$1000-$1200 for a service not unusual at a dealer...hence $3000 for a well sorted bike seems low....but a bargain for us older riders.

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
Most CXs sell for sub $3,000 prices which goes to show how lowly they are generally valued.

Go on gumtree and try to find a running registered bike with a budget of 3 grand.

Your choices will mostly consist of CB125s, postie bikes the odd ex lams CB250 that throws itself out of second and little more.

Just been out to the shed and stripped a couple of sets of carbs that have been sent to me, degreased them and thrown them in the carb dip.

Now I need to research this keihin CR flatslide I've also been sent.

It's still a bit hot out there so will hide inside and maybe gop out to the shed again tonight.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
that's sort of what I was touching at....spend $15000 on a new bike that'll do 200km/hr and pay $1200 to service it........
or buy a $3000 sorted CX....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
tho possibly road legal...those "little fellas" might put you below an average family sedan side mirror....especially if laying on the tank for some speed....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
They are worth a lot over here too. I like them, but I don’t understand the high value. I’ll never pay big money for one. I wonder if the sales are high for the brand new trail 110’s since being reintroduced.

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #533
My son had one years back. An elderly neighbour gave it to him when he stopped playing golf. It had a tow hitch for his golf gear.

It was ungodly loud so I made an exhaust.

The old feller took up golf again and we gave it back but it was fun thrashing it around the back yard.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Digressing.:cool:..but Dunno about the US but 50cc "Monkey bikes" and parts for them are a thriving industry...
now reborn.

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
I understand the market for stuff like that but not the prices.

Maybe they're nostalgia trips but I doubt I'd put a young kid on a 5 grand collectors bike.

Nor a Chinese pitbike gauranteed to cause tears at it's demise after half an afternoons work.

I always liked the 'miniature of dads bike' XR75, RM80s, YZ80s and the one I learned to ride on the TM75.

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
I think it is nostalgia. They had one when young and want to regain that. I doubt if many of the mini bikes that sell for such high prices are ever used, just displayed like trophies.

Some years ago my brother in law told me he had been looking for a Coleco game machine like he used to play when he was a kid and was lamenting the high priced they were being sold for. He said "If I still had all the stuff from my childhood I would be rich". I relied "No you wouldn't. If you had kept it all everyone else would have too and it would all be so common it wouldn't be worth anything."

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Bob ,you nailed it! Nostalgia , not many like there old age better than their youth. Is the secret to happiness NEVER GROW UP!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The english seem to have an unhealthy obsession with FS1E mopeds.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure that is quite right but there is a mad Honda Cub modification scene and Cubs are going for £1800 to £4000 which is more than CX’s!

521 - 540 of 560 Posts