Honda CX 500 Forum banner

501 - 520 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Raynuards and holes on the tips of three fingers that haven't healed for months and one is going on a couple of years. All of the fingers I hurt over 20 to 40 years ago. Started taking Gingko about three to four weeks now and haven't had a bout of white finger for awhile now ,so hopefully one problem down. Don't mind being 60 but nobody told me it would hurt this much.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Raynuards and holes on the tips of three fingers that haven't healed for months and one is going on a couple of years. All of the fingers I hurt over 20 to 40 years ago. Started taking Gingko about three to four weeks now and haven't had a bout of white finger for awhile now ,so hopefully one problem down. Don't mind being 60 but nobody told me it would hurt this much.
Sorry 4 me jumping in...you may know keeping warm is a factor,also avoiding caffeine helps....
theres also some rather good evidence for Arginine....(dont take a tablet for this but consider something like Arginaid-a Nestle product...)
Dont take this if you have either diabetes...or recurrent gout..as higher doses can exacerbate both....

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #503

Had to google that. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I'm combing my memory - I think I knew someone once that had something like this.

To add to Bahns advice, have you tried servicing the plug caps?

Sorry, I know nothing of these things so that's my best advice.

Is this chronic, permanent, temporary, episodic?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Gerard if you would like to discuss further...dont hesitate to pm me/Conversation...rather than here in the public forum....
Cheers

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Bahn ,thanks for the offer, will do later today. You are right about staying warm. Been shopping for a large heater for the workshop. I love Marks work and enjoy his postings, but for myself I would be wasting my time polishing bike parts as I live on farm land. Poor bike gets covered in mudd in the first mile from my house. But like most mechanics I know,I still like shiny bits.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Bahn ,thanks for the offer, will do later today. You are right about staying warm. Been shopping for a large heater for the workshop. I love Marks work and enjoy his postings, but for myself I would be wasting my time polishing bike parts as I live on farm land. Poor bike gets covered in mudd in the first mile from my house. But like most mechanics I know,I still like shiny bits.
know what you mean my CX hasn't had a "tub" for a few months.....and spent several years by the seaside..the chromes now pitted.....but mechanically all OK.....for me the return to pristine might be some time away.....
But as you say the posts here are informative, and for future reference are a good starting point....knowing how those "in the know" do it...

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
It is always worth seeing how someone who has a clue about how things work solves problems.

Hey Mark: Will we see you at this weekend's Zoom? It's at 11:30 AM South Australia time
https://zoom.us/j/93765058395?pwd=VlpFT2FHTW5GaitCMmlUd2RHT2dDQT09
Meeting ID: 937 6505 8395
Password: ___ (What component does a pre-'82 stock CX have, but a GL doesn't? (3 characters, all caps)

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #508 (Edited)
OzD paint finished - with the exception of the tail piece now needing a final polish with the liquid polish that the tank and side covers were finished with. You can see the difference. This will be done on the bike.

A few pics. I'll put the rest on the OzD thread.

Filler cover fitted with stainless screws. One job still to be done here is to stipple a few coats of por 15 around the filler to prevent fuel and vapour getting under the paint and lifting it. Ditto the white 500C. I'll pick some up soon.

Only a few jobs left on the OzD. It needs tyres of course. I'll bleed the brakes as the fluid has now been in them for a few years. Probably a few other litle things.

Got the radiator and shroud fitted to the white 500C and filled.

Finished up the instrument area. Made new plugs for the handlebar allen bolts from some christmas tree plugs.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Like that name, much better

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I always thought they were called " Now where the [email protected]%$ do you belong?"

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
Ah, that makes perfect sense now that I see it. I initially thought you were talking about something related to seasonal decoration as done in Australia....

BTW: The bikes look good.

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
Just came across Jacks bike from several pages back. $7,500. Hopeful;. If this is worth $7,500 the thingy is worth $12,000. I entertain no such illusions.

Not much shed time lately. Has mostly been too hot though the coming weekend will be shed weather.

I have finished cleaning up a 78 front wheel which I rate as an A-. Am doing another now that is pretty ugly and will require repainting of the spokes. Then I need to find a suitable matching rear to have a pair for the "Ralph" CX.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
its one of those supply and demand things as you know......(telling people what they already know here.....lol)
People trying to recoup their costs again......they don't realize UNLESS they manufacture all the parts themselves, they are unlikely to recoup the cost of parts let alone labour.......when they make a statement owes me $5000-$7000..they are probably factoring in cost of parts and any external work...
(And) If they say owes me $10000-15000...they are trying to recoup shop rates....

I think we touched on this b4 and I was blown out of the water for suggesting someone might end up spending $10000 on a old Honda;) (I did mean 10000 Aussie pesos tho....)

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #516
The bike has the bones of a good one. Motor seems basically healthy with good and even compression.

Bike really needs to be pulled down to a bare frame, the frame repainted and then some careful reassembly.

It also needs the 41 mm mikunis replaced with more suitably sized ones as it dies in the a##e at large throttle openings. Either that or govern it to the point before it drops off the twig.

I would value it at $3,000 max.

In perspective the asking price is likely up there with the very best examples .... or beyond.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No thread hijack intended at #515....was just touching on the Goolwa beach example you posted...some of us might be riding on bikes that have a red-book market value of $1000...but that would only cover 2 new tires and a set of ikons if you looked at replacement parts....

:pback to your shed....:p

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
No hijack. It was me that took the thread in the direction of prices.

CXs appear to have no particular pricing structure as they've never become particularly desirable and prices in Oz tend to be all over the place on the basis that they are simply worth what someone is prepared to pay.

But this $7,500 is more than I would value the thingy or the Ozdeluxe at, both of which have significant use of NOS parts within the engines and elsewhere.

The white 500C currently in my shed will be sold once complete. My proposed value? $2,500 - $3,000.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
What did Larry's concourse restoration go for at Mecum? That was a nut & bolt better than factory resto!

501 - 520 of 560 Posts