Honda CX 500 Forum banner

381 - 400 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
They are ugly (IMO), uncomfortable riding position, clunky transmission and jerky drive line. Other than that it was fine! LOL

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
Working on the 500C radiator now. When pressure tested it wasn't holding pressure at the cap.

The cap had a split sealing washer so was binned and another tried.

Still leaking, only less.

Bought new cap. Still leaking, but less again.

Straightened up the radiator cap sealing area on the rad. Now holding 12 PSI according to the gauge on the pump I use for testing. Good enough.

It held this for an hour or so. So onto cleanup for paint. Which I'm on now.

This rad also needed one side of the upper mount soldered back as the solder had broken at some point.

Front mudguard ready to fit. This had some rust underneath which was rubbed down, treated with phosphoric acid and sprayed with a cold galvanising spray.

I'll refit the guard next time I get to the shed and also the front wheel.

I'm trying not to spend much on this bike but I think I'll need to replace the front brake lines and maybe rebuild the calipers. Pads appear to be new so will be reused.

The discs had a wear lip around the edge but still measured .5 mm over the 4 mm minimum so the lip was removed on the fine disc of the bench grinder, the discs cleaned up and refitted to the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Hey Dave, I'm rebuilding the switch gear at the moment and have found something interesting while testing the function of the kill switch. It is the correct CDI kill switch.

Raising the question of why the circuit includes a relay as if the switch is actually the TI type. Later model CDI switches differ from the early CDI switches resembling the TI switch so this may be where confusion arose at some point.

Now .... you mentioned problems with the kill circuit?

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Thanks Dave. I had a look at the thread. I'm currently none the wiser but there must be a clue there when I get to working that out.I'm not surprised it wasn't working properly though. I suspect removal of the relay will fix the issue anyway.

I have the ignition switch inside for cleaning and testing tonight. I already have a map for CDI switches so it won't take long to check its functions.

I have rebuilt the switch gear.

I'll touch on the beam switch here as it can sometimes be problematic.The blue/white wire coming from the fuse box is the large solder blob marked common from light switch. This goes from the fuse to your light switch or the combined start/light interrupt switch if you are in the US.

If you have no power here you'll need to backtrack through the fuse to the main switch.

Now, if you have power coming in check the outputs to the beams. Blue is high, white is low. If you have no output here the switch needs attention. If you do, it's likely a wire, connector or globe fault downstream.

Slider

Contact side

Detent side

Switch body contacts.

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #387 (Edited)
Finished switchgear.

Underside of front mudgaurd. Ignore the rust on the indicator mounts. These were removed and cleaned and polished last night.

I found the lower steering bearing to be damaged and this was replaced. The bearing had fallen apart and I found a damaged roller.

New lower race fitted to frame withthis tool {also a fitter for two of the gearbox bearings} The driving face is an old lower steering ball race ground down to be a sliding fit into the frame.

Steering all good.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
How do you paint the lettering? Looks better than new too me.

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Hey Gerard, when prepping these for paint I dig the original factory paint markings out of the letters with a hobby knife. I go right through the anodising until I see bare alloy and then deepen the letters a little.

Paint is applied to the letters and wiped off with a kitchen paper towel dampened with a little white spirit.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thanks ,will try on a spare switch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I found the lower steering bearing to be damaged and this was replaced. The bearing had fallen apart and I found a damaged roller.

View attachment 204526

Steering all good.

Those were new bearings when I did it, Mark, but I did have some problems getting them to fit right. A lot of messaging back and forth with Joe Hovel.

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
I kind of guessed that Dave. Pyramid bearings .... without the 2 mm spacer supplied .... right?

Been there.

I only use all balls now.

On the upside, I did have a pair of {ahem} pyramid bearings here.

I only used the lower one.

Strangely, I think the lower bearing I fitted is an older one {I've had these for years} it has 14 rollers rather than the now supplied bearings 21. The stack height with this fitted is correct. I fitted it with the Joe Hovel supplied washer that goes in the frame above the bearing and the stack height didn't allow the bearing cover/adjuster nut to fit, so I took it back out. Without it the stack height is perfect.

I never compared the stack height of the two bearings as I couldn't be bothered reassembling the bearing just for the measurement.

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Just fixing a few small dings in the fuel tank for the 500C and will try to get a few more coats of the white on today so I can start to figure out the second colour panels and striping.

I have a couple of Honda wing decals in the shed I may also use for a close to stock paint scheme.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I kind of guessed that Dave. Pyramid bearings .... without the 2 mm spacer supplied .... right?
I have a funny feeling that my problems were what led to those spacers becoming a thing.

·
Registered
690 Posts
With a hint of pearl.

I'll give it several days, flat it and start working on the panels and stripes.

View attachment 204629
That workshop wall looks very organised..(y).when I visited a friend that does bike repairs full time was battling to find a place to rest my helmet before assisting with a bike lift....

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
My shed has been evolving for a long time now....

Vertical and horizontal surfaces can be two very different things. Horizontally speaking, I no sooner clear a surface than I fill it again.

Rubbing back the painted parts tonight. Then I'll be making the templates to make sure the coloured panels are the same from side to side.

I have a couple of good reference shots open on google images.

If you're remotely interested ..... SA is out of toilet paper already....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Take your point about vertical and horizontal/bench-but sure both are organised

Re the toilet paper....saw Costco sold a few pallets in a day there...
Hopefully its only a small spike in cases and nothing like Vic. recently experienced

381 - 400 of 426 Posts