Honda CX 500 Forum banner

341 - 360 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me what people will do to any type of mechanism??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hopefully it came through as the previous owner, not you.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
After speaking to Dave and discussing how far he had been into the motor this was likely cobbled together for sale by the person he bought it from.

I also had to cut off the primary drive gear.

I think the crank had been removed by the Haynes method. This is to beat the crank out from the front. I think this had mushroomed the end of the crankshaft. Then they must have bashed the primary gear back on.

I spent a couple of hours at least with various pry bars and pullers and since the crank was buggered resorted to the angle grinder,

·
Registered
832 Posts
The expletives would be flying... :p

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
I go out to the shed for 1 - 1/2 to 2 hours most night.

That night the only progress made was the decision to engage the services of the angle grinder the following night.

Even my vilest descriptive profanities were to no avail.

·
Registered
163 Posts
the red headed stepchild.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

You know, when I was building this bike, I looked at the corrosion in the left hand bore, and tossed up swapping the engine for another, but decided it would be ok and that I would keep the numbers original. If I had done the swap, it probably would have fulfilled it's purpose and gone to my son.

Mark would never have had this fun.

·
Registered
163 Posts
likely cobbled together for sale by the person he bought it from.
Even before him I think. He bought it to add to the pile of bikes in his sheds (note the plural) after it hit a bank and bent the front end up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Any more progress on this one Mark?

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Bit by bit Dave. i've got my finger in a few pies at the moment and am nibbling at each.

I've made coil mounts for dyna type coils for my standard and generally fiddled with ignitions.

Rebuilding a set of euro carbs for Seagrass.

Replaced the thingys headlight bulb which had lost the low beam terminal.

A few other things.Including working on the shed rather than in it.

But - have nearly reassembled the rear end. I put the rear wheel back on tonight. Still have to refit the brake pedal shaft and connect the rear brake and tighten all of the nuts.

Fitted a different rear grab bar and factory rear indicators {actually aftermarket knockoffs} and refitted the rear mudgaurd. Still some wiring to do.

The engine still sits on my bench waiting for the heads and rear cover to be fitted.

I have reground the valves. My tester showed they all leaked to some degree. Most not much, one badly. I also recut the 60 degree throat of the exhaust valves to move the contact seat to the correct position on the valve as it was quite low. All good.

I've got a few photos and will make another post soon.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Except for a few remaining things I've pretty much finished with the rear half of the bike. Not sure what happened with the tail light wiring as it came up short. I made an extension subloom.

The guard is the one the bike came with but I can't be sure about the mount and light itself as I took the opportunity while sorting one for this to go through the surprising number of these parts I had on hand. It seems there may be a difference in the length of the tail light subloom between years. I thought that maybe the bike is using a standard loom but opening the headlight shows C {or D} connectors.

i think this bike has accumulated a significant milage in its life.

The footpegs were really floppy in all directions. Pin wear aside the holes through the pegs were funky shapes so I drilled them out and welded in sleeves that are a good fit to the pin. These reduced the slop to bugger all and will allow the pins to retain lubricant. To address sideways movement I welded a washer to each one. Not pretty but it won't be seen and works well. They have now been painted along with all of the other peg parts and baked.

The clutch lever and perch are really bad. I have a fix for this but a new lever will be required. There's no point modifying the perch to suit a shagged lever.

Pics of this in following post.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #353

The switchgear will be refurbished and i may replace the right control as it's from a TI bike and the kill is working through a relay. I also broke the kill knob after taking these photos. I tried to turn it .... it didn't want to move and is apparently quite brittle.

I also made new clear sections for the airbox gunge tubes along with some alloy caps.

All electrical connectors in the rear half have been cleaned including dismantling, cleaning and dialectric greasing the connectors under the RR.

Sidestand and all moving parts of rear brake system lubed. Centrestand yet to be done.

Mufflers cleaned up and their rear caps repainted ready for refitting.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #355 (Edited)
Not a huge amount of shed time just lately but have managed to spend most of the long weekend out there.

I have completed the engine for the Dragonstaff 500C. I've stripped and repainted the front hanger and fan shroud and fitted a 78 standard airdam I'd prepared earlier. While not the correct one it's close. Also blew a couple of coats of duplicolor aluminium engine enamel over the motor.

A few bits and pieces were blinged up a little and the motor now sits next to the bike on the engine fitter waiting to be installed.

Fitted a new cam oil and mechanical seal. Impeller should push on without force. Best to check before cranking it down with the nut.

Since I wanted the valve covers in the shot above as painting masks I pulled them off of the Ozdeluxe where they'd been sitting a while and fitted the Ozdeluxe with its own covers. I also finished wiring the ignition and fitted spark plugs. Fuel and it's a goer.

Finished and sent back Seagrass' euro carbs and am currently on the set for the 500C shown here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You know you did those carbs when I first got the bike, Mark.

"The switchgear will be refurbished and i may replace the right control as it's from a TI bike and the kill is working through a relay."

That is what that relay is for!

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #357 (Edited)
Yeah, while I've put the carbs through the ultrasonic I never bothered dipping them. This job is mostly cosmetic though I've substituted 118s for the 120 jets. I think 118 was my choice when I built them for you .... I just didn't have any.

On the subject of jets - are the mufflers gutted?

Ebay my ####. 🤣

The engine is back in the bike and most things hooked up. Carbs waiting reassembly but have refitted all of the emulsion choobs, jets etc.

Have soldered the radiator bracket back on and vinegar flushed the radiator and this is awaiting final cleanup for paint.

The front wheel is on the arm of my chair being cleaned up and polished.

It's coming along.

Watched this last night. Was never aware of it. Love Ogri.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On the subject of jets - are the mufflers gutted?
Not to my knowledge. Came off the 650 I had, and have a very nice note.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Cool. Wasn't sure if the rivets holding the rear cone on were the original factory items or whether the cone had been off of the mufflers.

Of course, I've not heard them yet.

Front wheel coming along.

Still haven't reassembled the carbs but I'll be in the shed this weekend and should get to it.

I dropped the forks out last night and will dismantle to check the tubes for bends.

Trying a new raesan V4 variant with forsetti coils on the blue standard currently. So far, so good.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Finished the carbs for this one.

The boots have been polished and have been soaking in the xylene/methyl salicylate solution for a few weeks.

I'll fit the carbs when I have the handlebars worked out. It's easier to fit the cables with the carbs off of the bike.

Have dismantled, checked, reassembled and filled the forks with ATF as I'm low on fork oil but have a bottle of ATF...

Hoping to finish with the front wheel tonight.

Ray has been doing some work on his product range. The V3 is now in the same box as the V4 and now called the V3.5.

Ray is working on mounts to fit seadoo coilovers to work with V3s and V3.5 {note that V3.5 supersedes V3 and the plain V3 is no longer made.

But today I removed the V4/forsetti coils combo and refitted a V3 and fitted the seadoo coils to the bike complete with Rays 3D printed adapters.

A quick test ride shows good performance all the way to redline. Will be running a number of errands tomorrow, at a guess 40 - 50 Kms worth.

341 - 360 of 374 Posts