Honda CX 500 Forum banner

321 - 326 of 326 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #321 (Edited)
Because when you pull off a driven flange there is usually a white sealant already in the area.

Presumably it was factory sealed. The area has 2 O rings so presumably it was to prevent leakage of hot grease.

I've finished this bike now. It runs fairly sweetly but won't accept full throttle. 38 mm miks are usually used on cylinders of around 650 cc.

The front end really needs the forks and brakes looking at. The brakes aren't good and there's no point changing brake pads until the leaking forks are fixed. The lines are also beyond their use by date.

I can improve the suspension and brakes 100% just going on my 500 standard. I rode both today, first mine to test a coilover ignition coil, then Jacks bike, then mine again to run errands. The bikes have identical setups {twin discs, 38 mm calipers}. The difference is chalk and cheese.

The Mikes XS ignition coils used with the V4 raesan on my bike were still talking to each other {RFI, EMI.... whichever} even though I'd made shielded mounts so I stuck a coilover on the right today.

This has solved the issue I think so I'll swap the left side tomorrow. I was without power tools today due to a scheduled maintenance on our local power grid so just did the one. I am using irrigation fittings to install ford falcon coils.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Is the coil "talk" only with the version 4 of the RaeSan or other versions too?

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Only the V4 as it uses 12 volt coils.

It will be the raesan/coil pack combo and not simply the raesan.

I thought I had this licked so I'll just go coilovers.

This is the thingummy motor. It will run coilovers anyway.

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Have just done an inspection on the motor of the 500C I acquired from Dragonstaff.

Was hoping the knocking noise Dave described was a broken camchain tensioner component.

But it's the left side rod bearing.

This is no indictment on Dave. He was upfront about the mechanical racket and the bike was cheap enough costing me a rebuild on a set of GL1200 carbs and a CX500 set to come.

I am now considering whether to take the crank from another motor I was preparing to rebuild for this one or not.

Going back to the shed to tidy up and ponder on this - and check if I have a second viable crank to make the decision easier .....

·
Registered
349 Posts
the coils CXPREAK were using are a QC-0026 / MikesXS 4 ohm coil - early on these looked like a vaible option - but as noted they seem to talk to each other with the high enegies employed in the V4 setup - they can be made to behave but require abot 12" separation it seems - i dont think any were ever sent to anyone as I only ever got them in for evaluation-
they are not o nthe recommended list for the V4 coils -

Rayman

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Hi Ray, I've fitted a pair of the falcon coilovers and think this has cured the problem. I'll find out for sure when I go down to Lonsdale to pick up some paint tomorrow or Tuesday.

The long slow climb up ocean boulevard is where it was at its worst but I've not noticed it at all since the coil change.

Coils fitted with irrigation fittings. I'll upload some pics later.

Have decided to pull down Dragonstaffs and my 500C side by side. Neither should be an enormous job as neither bike is truly a basketcase.

Have found a second crank.

321 - 326 of 326 Posts