Honda CX 500 Forum banner

261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
And I've actually missed the whole Vrod thing because the forum no longer takes you to the first unread post.
That’s one of the things I like most about the new forum. I hated scrolling to the last page every time and then sometimes I had to back up one page to get to where I left off. Now it always takes me to where I left off.

·
Registered
24,054 Posts
and you know that how??

it says

Does anyone know the peak revs of these harley motors

not peak rev of these harley sporster motors

AND WHY DOES IT MATTER TO YOU?????

and when did you become lord and protector of content ?

do i have to send you a memo first ?

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
No, you don't need my permission to post anything. And it was interesting to learn how high a V-Rod revs.
BUT there have been a number of references to these being Sportster mufflers, including right before he asked about the peak revs of "these Harley motors"
The bike is much better with the sportster mufflers fitted and I've just added the K+N filter from my 500C to the airbox.
These are {presumably} sportster mufflers but unknown whether from an 883 or 1200 {if the mufflers are in fact different}

Does anyone know the peak revs of these harley motors? If the pumping flow from the harley motor is high enough that should be OK for a CX, which while it has smaller cylinders to exhaust presumably spins {and therefor pumps} a lot faster. With a known peak rev, comparitive flow should be calculable.

·
Super Moderator
19,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
I've learned a couple of things here.

Hitting the icon on the left of the page takes you to the last unread post. On the last version of the forum it took you to the first post in the thread.

I've been clicking on the right which just takes you to the last post made.

While I actually was talking harley sportster mufflers the info on V rod mufflers is interesting to me as these mufflers just HAVE to flow enough for a CX and since I need to be somewhat opportunistic in sourcing such things here the Vrod mufflers may be what I have the chance to buy.

I've checked the local harley dealerships for take off mufflers to no avail.

Here, they give the take off parts back to the customer.

I do have a lead on a couple of sportster sets through a 'want' ad on gumtree.

I would still like to know if unmolested sportster mufflers will have enough flow for the CX at peak RPM.

I like quiet..

·
Registered
347 Posts
try coast yamaha - they had some last time i asked ....

·
Super Moderator
19,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
I've just rebuilt another set of these carbs that have been in my parts for years.

The mixture screws were seized in and even after chemical soaking and a few rounds in the ultrasonic and attempted hot removals these things were stuck and required winkling out with vice grips, leaving the heads in a pretty unusable and mangled shape.

As these were genuine Keihin mix screws and otherwise in good order I decided to see if they could be salvaged.

Squaring off the mangled remains to fit the tappet adjuster tool seemed an idea so I gave each a minute or so quality time on the fine wheel of the bench grinder.

This worked fine. In fact, I may do all of my mix screws this way in future. The engagement is much more positive than a screw headwhich helps a lot when making adjustments on a running motor as this doesn't keep slipping off.

And a couple of magnified pics of the results of pulling idle jets with an easy out.

And here a 4/40 tap and pulll'

261 - 274 of 274 Posts