Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first GL500. I got her from a friend. She sat up for a year, but with a new battery, oil change, tank flush and fresh fuel she started right up and ran beautifully! Really smooth, too.

But a day later, now she won't start. Plenty of spark. Gas is flowing to carbs, vacuum valve to right carb works just fine. Gas going through to bowls, based on removing flush screws, but no gas mix to cylinders. Seems plugs are dry after attempted starts.

What should I be looking for? Air-cut? Clogged carbs/jets? What can I try before removing carbs? Gotta be something simple?

Thanks,

DD

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check the kill switch first. We've probably all got caught by that one at least once. To rule out or confirm a carb problem spray some starting fluid in the air filter.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I'd check the fuel tank cap to make sure the tiny vent is clear. It can create a vacuum lock in the tank and nothing will flow once the vacuum is present.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It seems that somehow or another you may have gotten some water into your fuel. Try unhooking your fuel line from the petcock and running some clean gas to confirm that.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I don't know if this will work on bikes, but I don't see why not. One time I got bad gas (water in it) in my car. I poured a couple of quarts of rubbing alcohol in the tank and everything was fine. Don't think it will hurt anything, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You didn't say whether you were running IN the rain, or the bike sat out in the rain. May want to pull the plug caps and see if it's wet in there. the weep hole should have drained it, but not if there plugged up. That would cause it to "mis-behave"........

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I like my clear gas tubing from the tank to the carbs. A little fuel filter there is nice to. Available at most auto parts stores. Take the gasline off and see if gas is running free. There is a filter in the tank just under the petcock valve that could be clogged with stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts