Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--

I just got to installing my HALL TAI Ignition Module on my GL650. When doing the initial timing procedure, I noticed the marks in the instructions are only for the 500 and not 650. However, after comparing the two flywheels, I set about timing the motor. (also the instructions are missing how to tie the relay into the system...)

From what I can understand, the LED is supposed to be on from the double line to the FR mark. However, on my 650, the LED is on from just above the FR mark to the TDC mark. I modified the info graphic to reflect my timing vs what its supposed to be. Red is manual, blue is what im seeing.

Rectangle Automotive tail & brake light Goggles Automotive lighting Slope

Someone on the fb page suggested I had the wrong rotor as that's what happened with him. Is that why my timing is way off?

For a $200 kit, I kinda expected it to be a little better. I know these are hand built and whatnot, but possibly getting the wrong rotor, incorrect instructions, missing wiring diagrams, having to pry the case off the module due to too much superglue on the 3d printed wiring guide, and getting the wrong bolts really does put a sour taste in my mouth :( If i have to wait for a replacement rotor, thats going to be 2+ weeks for shipping.

Heres a video of the issue:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You really should be communicating with Ray privately rather than publicly ranting and complaining about his fine products. You aren’t likely to get much sympathy around here. You are doing nothing more than making an a$$ out of yourself.
Okay, end of my rant.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really should be communicating with Ray privately rather than publicly ranting and complaining about his fine products. You aren’t likely to get much sympathy around here. You are doing nothing more than making an a$$ out of yourself.
Okay, end of my rant.
im not looking for sympathy. im having issues that i need input on.

I already sent him an email on the issue to see what he says. in the meantime, i want others input to make sure im doing this right.

if he resolves the problems, then i will post it here.

this is how reviews work 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
im not looking for sympathy. im having issues that i need input on.

I already sent him an email on the issue to see what he says. in the meantime, i want others to make sure im doing this right.

if he resolves the problems, then i will post it here.

this is how reviews work 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯
Reading your original post I didn’t realize it was just a review. Sorry, my mistake on that part. I still feel the same as I did before about your post whether it’s a review or a complaint.

Reactions: wjvh

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reading your original post I didn’t realize it was just a review. Sorry, my mistake on that part. I still feel the same as I did before about your post whether it’s a review or a complaint.
Its a question, review, and complaint.

i got incorrect hardware

the manual is missing critical info for the 650's

some of the wiring color doesnt match any of the included diagrams

and i dont know why my timing doesnt line up as the manual says it should.

i dont care if you think im making an ass of myself. its a public forum. dont have input on the issue? please move on.

·
Registered
487 Posts
looking at the correct manual ?
you dont have a wrong rotor - theres only one sort.
yes I forgot to trim the circuit board a bit - I'm not going into the complications around my time atm in this forum.

circuits are in the manual -
wire colour changes are due to supply issues during the pandemic - i cant wait 6 weeks to get the correct colour of wire atm.

having to pry the grommet out is normal - its called a water seal ....there is not any superglue.

bolts - have had reports that the TAI bikes are indeed m6 and not m5, but m6 are easy to get ( or you already have) M5 are a bit rarer in the US - so standard fit is M5,
but will order some m6 for future includion in the GL/EU variants.

Rayman

·
Registered
487 Posts
not sure if it was just a cd i flywhell for illustrative purposes ? if its a CDI flywheel in the 650 engine - then the board will need to be rotated 180 degrees to achieve correct timing as the rotor is in the normal CDI position.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not sure if it was just a cd i flywhell for illustrative purposes ? if its a CDI flywheel in the 650 engine - then the board will need to be rotated 180 degrees to achieve correct timing as the rotor is in the normal CDI position.
its not a cdi flywheel. i was using it for illustration as the manual DOES NOT have a diagram for the 650's, as said in the video.
looking at the correct manual ?
Yes, I am, you are not. I ordered the V4.0 HALL TAI Ignition Module, not the V4.2 CX HALL Ignition Module as you said in an email that i need the hall tai module. The hall tai module manual does not have the correct wiring diagram (or wire color) to have the relay, and I had to search your website to find the correct one.

you dont have a wrong rotor - theres only one sort.
yes I forgot to trim the circuit board a bit - I'm not going into the complications around my time atm in this forum.
I understand. you were in a rush and have other things you are taking care of, which is presumably why everything has been marked out of stock.

circuits are in the manual -
wire colour changes are due to supply issues during the pandemic - i cant wait 6 weeks to get the correct colour of wire atm.
I understand, but sending an email noting this change, or even including a note in the package would have been appreciated.

having to pry the grommet out is normal - its called a water seal ....there is not any superglue.
I dont think 3d printed plastic makes a good seal. Maybe thats why mines warped--to create a better seal?

bolts - have had reports that the TAI bikes are indeed m6 and not m5, but m6 are easy to get ( or you already have) M5 are a bit rarer in the US - so standard fit is M5,
but will order some m6 for future includion in the GL/EU variants.
Rayman
I'm pretty sure my bolts were m6 and the ones you included were m4. Generally a m5 bolt will thread into an m6 hole, but will be loose. The ones I got fell right through the bolt holes.

I'm sorry to be mr. negative with this kit. For $230usd that is supposed to be fairly PNP, I had an atrocious time with it, between having to grind the notches to twice the length, missing / incorrect info in the manual, and incorrect mounting hardware.

I was told to grind these nubs off, but I ended up having to widen the grooves by about double their original length.

Original length is in red, the amount I had to trim is blue.

Regardless, I got my engine timed and I am moving forward with the swap.

Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part
Finger Nail Sports equipment Wrist Electric blue
Recreation Nail Toy Electric blue String instrument accessory

1 - 11 of 11 Posts