Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Experts...finally getting back to this rebuild after a very long break. Put everything back together and started it up this morning, and the radiator leaked in the very top left corner. Does anyone have any good experiences to share with leak fixing products (either the liquid you put into the radiator or something else)? I would like to try alternate options first before draining, disassembly and paying big $$$s for a pro repair. All ideas welcome, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,474 Posts
My advice would be to do a proper repair, avoid the rad sealer products like the plague.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood...always hoping for a quick fix, but will bite the bullet on this one. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,474 Posts
It may not cost as much to fix as you think. Worth investigating. Alternatively, learn to solder.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,191 Posts
A shop might be hesitant to try the repair because they'd use a torch which might cause more leaks in the old brass. I've had success using a soldering gun with ample flux. A high wattage soldering iron should work, too. You'll need to apply high, very localized heat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it actually leaking?

I find that any splash from filling runs off exactly there.
Unfortunately, yes...after a few minutes of running for the first time it started to drip from that corner. It was all clean and dry before start up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts