Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
sorry dragonstaff this statement may need some clarification

"The oil seal is faced to keep the oil out of the coolant, hence coolant will get through into the oil."

the oil seal is in fact faced towards the engine not the pump its job is to keep splash oil from the chain and cam from exiting the motor via the weeping hole

without this seal a trail of oil might slowly seep out the weeping hole so in fact if the weeping hole is blocked and the mech seal goes anti freeze will flow unhindered into the engine

·
Registered
178 Posts
sorry dragonstaff this statement is wrong

"The oil seal is faced to keep the oil out of the coolant, hence coolant will get through into the oil."

the oil seal is in fact faced towards the engine not the pump its job is to keep splash oil from the chain and cam from exiting the motor via the weeping hole

without this seal a trail of oil might slowly seep out the weeping hole so in fact if the weeping hole is blocked and the mech seal goes anti freeze will flow unhindered into the engine

Isn't that what I said Murray? It is what I meant, if not.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's cool. As long as the OP gets the right answer to his question, all the rest is semantics.

·
Registered
839 Posts
If the temp stays under control then the engin will be fine. You need to add water after the bike has cooled down, not while riding?
While riding. Do you need to add water? Or just when the bike cools down? The radiator cap if it leaks should only, normally bring it back to the reserve tank. Perhaps the plastic tank has a crack in it. Leaking a bit while riding, getting hot. Just my thoughts.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts