Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yup, that's why I was asking where you got a thermostat for $6.99. :D

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,603 Posts
Yeah. It would have been $6.99 when I posted that in 2007 so $7.99 now is not too bad.

Anyway, I mentioned that page now to remind you to flush the engine too, and don't forget to open the cylinder drains and flush everything out of there too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ya, I've been slow working on the bike, my cheapness keeps me going to eBay China for parts and well, delays things a while. At that point where I'll pay extra if it's in Canada just to save the time.

That being said, I've been going through and flushing whatever I can find. Oil, final-drive, brakes, rad... it was essentially parked and left untouched since '89 in a barn. Tank took forever to clean all the gooified gas out of.

Still debating the POR15 for the tank. It's in great shape. I filled it with molasses and water (1:9) and after a week there wasn't spec of rust. Then flash rusted in under an hour before got the engine fogger in it. :D But reviews online, regardless which fuel tank liner used, are so 50/50.

But ya, so much old crap in that bike that I want to clean/flush everything before I try starting it.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,603 Posts
When I got my 'Wing it had sat for 10 years, 6 of them outside and then another couple of years in my shop. I scrapped both master cylinders and the brake lines because the fluid in them had crystallized but I managed to save the calipers. I was lucky that the original owner had drained it completely - have you ever seen what you have to go through to get the tank out of a 'Wing?

As for lining the tank, from everything I have read making any of the brands adhere properly all comes down to doing the prep work exactly right.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ya, you never really know if the reviews are from people who did it properly, or rushed it and blame the product.

As you can probably tell from other threads, I research the snot out of anything/everything before I touch it. Patience and some OCD when it comes to that kinda stuff so, I'd follow the directions to the letter.

My day job is at an appliance repair shop. I plan to grab an old dryer with no heat before it goes to scrap and use it for the tank. Watched a video of someone doing it, not sure if mine would fit, but, poured in the cleaning and prep stuff with a chain, sealed it up, wrapped it in foam/blankets to prevent denting and let it tumble. Definitely a good way to make sure it's cleaned out and prepped.

Different video, but seems like a few people are doing that... but since I just put new wheels, idler, belt etc into my machine, I'll wait for a scrap one to come in.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts