Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, seen a few threads about flushing the rad, but all mention starting the bike, warming up etc... but right now, the bike doesn't start/run. Still a work in progress.

Thing is, the fluid was left in there for about 25yrs and no idea how old it was before it was cocooned in a barn. Although I have a while to go before I start the bike, I'd like to get the rad flushed out and cleaned best I can before I try starting it.

What's the best method?

Just flush it out with the hose for now? use chemicals? take the rad and hoses off completely and soak them in something like CLR?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
For starters, after draining, you can get a rubber tipped garden hose attachment and literally jamb it down on the top of the radiator opening and flush until clear, which will get most of any crap out of the whole system.
You can also remove the radiator and flush out the heads somewhat that way too.
If you remove the water pump housing that helps also for flushing and you can then also clean off the impellor some.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
That's what I'd do, you should also remove the thermostat as well and replace it with a new one and you could flush from that direction also.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There's a couple of drains for each cylinder too. That'll help you get it out of the engine itself.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Don't fool with it.

Pull the radiator. Then take it to a Radiator Shop. They'll completely refurb it and likely paint it black for probably $50 or less. Then you will have a full efficient, clean, clear, sealed radiator.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
$50 or less? Every time someone on this forum tells me what stuff costs... it's grossly far from the quotes I get from the shops.

Is Canada just 'that' much more expensive than everywhere else? Even after I factor in the exchange rate, the prices are off by more than a bit by a bunch. :D

So, flush wise... just garden hose? no vinegar, prestone rad flush, clr, etc... I was expecting to pull it off, stick it in a big rubbermaid bin and soak it for a few days in something.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Radiator shop.

The last radiator I had done was from a 2500HD pickup. Caught a rock up thru the grill and put a hole in the rad.

I pulled the rad, took it to a shop, they fixed hole, clean, pressure test and paint.......it was about $80 USD. The CX rads are smaller. Still best to make a phone call or 2. Usually this is pretty inexpensive. Shouldn't be an exchange rate, assuming you use a shop in Grand Bend.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Even my radiator cost me $80 to have checked but they cleaned, pressure tested, and painted it for that price.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Radiator shop.

The last radiator I had done was from a 2500HD pickup. Caught a rock up thru the grill and put a hole in the rad.

I pulled the rad, took it to a shop, they fixed hole, clean, pressure test and paint.......it was about $80 USD. The CX rads are smaller. Still best to make a phone call or 2. Usually this is pretty inexpensive. Shouldn't be an exchange rate, assuming you use a shop in Grand Bend.
I just meant that when someone says a price, I look to see where they live (ie. USA) then convert that to CAD funds... so when you say $80USD for example, I know to think $104CAD.

Though I'm still surprised that no one seems to have home/driveway solutions apart from using a garden hose.

Are there any copper/brass parts inside the rad? outside the rad?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,603 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Older thread, got distracted/injured but still plan to flush this thing out. Checked around and no locals, though as we established from other threads of mine, what little the locals can do, they charge a lot for. :D

Anyone tried/recommend this method? THREAD

Also, anyone have a part number or source for compatible thermostats? Was looking for the Honda one, but closest Honda dealer is over an hour away and ETA for the part (and price) is a bit much. Was ordering some stuff off Canada's Motorcycle, but they don't carry anything compatible. SidecarBob, where do you get yours? I noticed your link mentioned $6.99... was that locally? I'm trying to avoid ordering outside of Canada simply because I'm getting tired of the 2-5 week wait to get parts. :D

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
You will need to check around with different rad shops, as all I can tell you is the ones I checked in Toronto wont even remove your rad cap for $50.00 lol. I cleaned mine by just water flushing and then took the rad inside and used vinegar and water. Let it sit an hour then flushed it again. Yes you can do it faster with commercial acids, but if you dont know what your doing you can kill the rad. basically when you look inside after cleaning you will be able to see if it needs another go or if the cores are fine. After that just change the coolant when needed and it will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
The thermostat I use is from Crappy Tire, part #14-4000-4 I have been using this same part number since I bought my first GoldWing in 1991. I just looked it up on their site and it says they now cost $7.99. Whyen you go to the parts counter to ask for it they will ask you what it is for. You can try to educate them that it fits all Honda liquid cooled motorcycles up to at least 1985 or just tell them it fits a 2002 CR-V.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will need to check around with different rad shops, as all I can tell you is the ones I checked in Toronto wont even remove your rad cap for $50.00 lol. I cleaned mine by just water flushing and then took the rad inside and used vinegar and water. Let it sit an hour then flushed it again. Yes you can do it faster with commercial acids, but if you dont know what your doing you can kill the rad. basically when you look inside after cleaning you will be able to see if it needs another go or if the cores are fine. After that just change the coolant when needed and it will be fine.
Ya, I've seen people say get a pro to do it, $50 and they boil it flush it etc... I wish I knew where they were going, people here charge $70/h and so far none of them do anything apart from a basic flush that I can do at home (once the bike runs).

SidecarBob... thanks. I was at Canadian Tire earlier and they weren't able to find anything, not even with the Honda part number. All they said was stick with the Honda part from the dealership else the wrong thermostat can kill the rad. But, I know there has to be alternatives, I don't go to the chev dealership when the car needs a new one. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
14-4000-4 is Canadian Tire's number, not Honda's. The last time I bought one I told the ignoramus on the counter "I have been buying this part number for Honda motorcycles since 1991 and it has always worked. Just go in the back and get me one or I'll have a talk with the store owner." He got me the thermostat.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just meant that even with Honda's number (that I had with me) they couldn't find anything, like alternate part numbers. Putting in the make/model of bike also yielded zero results.

But, I figured they'd have something that would work... just, I guess they have no decent cross-reference database, except for oil filters and spark plugs.

Though, that 1 single reviewer on Canadian Tire, didn't seem happy with his purchase. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found a cross ref today for the thermostat. From what I read, the CX500 takes a HONDA 19300-611-005 (19300611005) Thermostat.

Cross ref said...

Manufacturer HONDA
Number 19300-611-005
Description Thermostat, coolant

Cross numbers
CALORSTAT BY VERNET TH507682J
HONDA 19300611005
HONDA 19300PB2023

HONDA 19300-611-005 can be used in car models

HONDA
ACCORD I 1976-1983
ACCORD I Hatchback 1979-1983
ACCORD II 1983-1985
ACCORD II Hatchback 1983-1985
ACCORD III 1985-1989
ACCORD III Aerodeck 1985-1989
CIVIC I Hatchback 1972-1983
CIVIC I Saloon 1979-1984
CIVIC II Estate 1979-1983
CIVIC II Hatchback 1978-1983
PRELUDE I Coupe 1978-1982
PRELUDE II 1983-1987
PRELUDE III 1986-1992
QUINTET 1980-1984

MAZDA
323 C V 1994-2000
323 F V 1994-1998
323 F VI 1998-2004
323 P V 1996-1998
323 S V 1994-2001

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice... figured while the rad is off, swap the thermostat as per the forums recommendation, going to flush with vinegar and water. While the rad is off, get the lifters all checked and set, hand crank the engine etc.

Hopefully it stays as cool as it is now for the rest of the week. Past weekend was way too hot to work on anything out in the sun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts