Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, OK so this mainly applies to us here in the US, but-

After wasting an hour driving to various hardware stores & auto parts stores for the now infamous 14mm x 1.5 thread bolt, and finding that every one in my area including the big home centers stop at 12mm, I started thinking outside of the box. Here's what I found-

Spark plugs have 14mm x 1.25, so forget that idea,(I didn't have any old spark plugs to grind the side electrode off of anyway). Also, most 14mm wheel bolts/studs (light truck) are also 1.25 pitch.

14mm x 1.5, however, IS a very common metric size for oil drain plugs. I got a replacement drain plug at my local auto parts store. It's only about 5/8" long, so I thought I'd have to drop a small nut in the hole to stretch the effective length of the drain plug, but didn't even have to. 15 seconds later, the fan is off !

For future reference, metric drain plugs threads go 12, 14, 16, 18 & 20mm, so if some off the wall need ever arises...you might get lucky. (the CX is 12mm, that would have been just too easy).

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I wasted time searching too

so I took a CX front axle nut to my local garage

and the guy gave me a wheel stud from a Mercedes van

( I hear some VW vans use them as well)

Job done !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now wonder it was so hard to find, all the right size bolts are over in the UK!

cheers from snowy (again) Massachusetts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
because of the dimension of that particular bolt,best place to pick it up is an agriculteral suppliers,

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I used an air chuck I had laying around.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know if your front wheel bolts are different in the US but here in UK the front wheel axle is a perfect fit to remove the fan .....

And it only takes 5 minutes to take out the front axle bolt and keep in the socket extension bar you used (well I do) to tap it out, putting the front axle bolt back in is just as quick and doesn't mean having to support the front end either as you are not actually removing the front wheel

·
Registered
851 Posts
We have two Nut and Bolt warehouses in town "Midstate Bolt" and "Fastenal" I wonder why Boston would not have such a place or two? But hey, you live near Vanson Leathers just outside of Boston. I have a Vanson race suit I got off Craig's List for $100.00 I called Vanson the guy told me it's a $2800.00 suit new.. it's not new.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I don't know if your front wheel bolts are different in the US but here in UK the front wheel axle is a perfect fit to remove the fan .....

And it only takes 5 minutes to take out the front axle bolt and keep in the socket extension bar you used (well I do) to tap it out, putting the front axle bolt back in is just as quick and doesn't mean having to support the front end either as you are not actually removing the front wheel

Steptoe

The front spindle tip has been about for years but

theres a potential snag in using the FW spindle in that its unthreaded tapered end

prevents you using the full amount of threads in the soft alloy fan boss.

Just using the few reached by the spindle could easily strip them

and so, could turn a 10 minute job into a fretful saga.

A bolt is safer.

Steptoe eh?

Harold or Albert?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
After having learned my lesson I always use an oil drain plug from a Yamaha. Ought to be possible to find at any boneyard - or cheap enough to buy new.

Also wheel bolts from early SAAB cars (probably easier to find in my country than other places). I just walked in at my local car wrecker, grabbed a couple and walked out. I didn´t have to pay. Maybe also other metric cars with wheel bolts??

Never use the wheel spindles / axles! Someone ought to strangle Haynes!! They started it all! Costed me one fan hub!! Won´t happen again!!

I Helicoiled that fan hub (14 x 1.25) and used an old spark plug (side electrode ground off) as a puller, after that, on that bike.

Sture

·
Registered
212 Posts
The front spindle tip has been about for years but

theres a potential snag in using the FW spindle in that its unthreaded tapered end

prevents you using the full amount of threads in the soft alloy fan boss.

Just using the few reached by the spindle could easily strip them

and so, could turn a 10 minute job into a fretful saga.

A bolt is safer.

Agree totally. Dont chance it. Found it easily at Lowe's, small auto part stores. If I can find it around here, anyone can.

Michael

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Yep, my local Ace Hardware, no problem. For the record my front axle would not fit at all when I was taking the fan off. So maybe there is a regional difference of some sort.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I'll add one more method, the "pickle fork", tried it and it worked fine. A pickle fork is a tool to separate ball joints on a car or truck, most people who work on cars have a few. Cheap ones can be had from your local FLAPS (Autozone,etc.) in the tool aisle for about $9.00.

Slip it in between the fan hub and the tach housing, one good whack with a hammer and the fan should pop right off.

No damage to the tach, shaft or fan. This fan has shrunk to junk, cracked with heat/age.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I contemplated using the front axle, but decided whats one more day (since Im waiting on an oil and mech seal) to be able to go get a bolt. Im going to pick up some metric bolts in a few sizes just incase lol. No luck at ANY home improvement store here (Home depot, lowes, crappy tire, rona ... none bigger than 12mm except lowes, who dod have a 14 2.0 pitch
So screw it, off to Brafasco, if they dont have it then it doesnt exist lol.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I contemplated using the front axle, but decided whats one more day (since Im waiting on an oil and mech seal) to be able to go get a bolt. Im going to pick up some metric bolts in a few sizes just incase lol. No luck at ANY home improvement store here (Home depot, lowes, crappy tire, rona ... none bigger than 12mm except lowes, who dod have a 14 2.0 pitch
So screw it, off to Brafasco, if they dont have it then it doesnt exist lol.

My local Ace Hardware had a bin full of the 14X1.5

They did not have the one for the flywheel... I cannot remember that one right off... 14 X 2 or some such.

I ended up with a subaru drain plug and several washers to pull my flywheel.

I found there is a fastenal down the street and they are about 1/4 the cost of the ace. They also have a better selection.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Being a auto mechanic myself by trade I found a ford truck lug stud in the shop, ground the edges down so I can fit a 17m wrench on it and worked great. Fan came off easy, not to find a old fan motor and turn this into a fan on my garage wall cause it needs more air flow when I paint again.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
The one I got at my Ace store was about 2-3 inches long. It's been a while since I've had it out, not even sure I could find that dang thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.