Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When radial tires first appeared I put them on my Nova and was impressed with the improvement in ride and handling. So why can't I put them on my GL?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Your limiting factor here is the width of the front & rear rim. Radials fit on a much narrower range of rims than equivalent bias, or bias belted tyres which in essence means you would need wider rims. With wider rims you could then of course run radial tyres with no problem. It is completely possible, and normal to run a bias, or bias belted front with a radial rear, so in the strictest terms, you in all practicality only need a wider rear rim, as, although you could fit something like a Maxxis M6011Fww 140/90 R16 now, its never good practise to run a radial tyre size on its narrowest possible rim for a touring application, as this tends to make the rear steer too fast and cause instability problems. If you could fit and run a 3.50 or 4.00 rim width, you could use a wider radial to much more effect, as long as you made clearance for it in the swing arm, which would involve cutting the swing arm and maybe even narrowing the drive shaft a little. Involved, but not impossible. Offsetting the rear wheel a little would also aid matters as of course offset pays double ( an offset of 5mm allows 10mm more tyre width). This is not as uncommon as it sounds and many bikes run ofset rear wheels, including most BMW's which are either 3, 5, or 7mm out of line depending upon the (approved) tyre size fitted

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.