Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That guy has the most grating , computer -generated voice imaginable....

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
Agreed, it is a CX500E. Possibly looks like a spine frame due to the way that he did the seat and moved the upper shock mount. It has pro-link suspension.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's an early twin shock 500. Single spine frame.
Watch more than the first 30 seconds of the video. He says that it is a 1986 cx500e. I don't think they made CX500 e's in 1986 or even tag them as such. Plus the valve covers resemble a 650 to me. I don't know if there's huge differences other than valve covers and carbs that can distinguish a 500 E from a 650e especially one that has been modified but calling it a 1986 should have declared it a CX 650e. The fact that he shows a picture of a white cx500e right before he shows the cafe version doesn't mean that they started with that particular white bike. He shows lots of standard CX 500 E photos shortly before that.

It's not that important but one thing he did bring out is that the e rear swing arm and possibly other GL monoshock swing arms are 4 cm (1.67in) longer than other CX500 variants. I didn't know that. In the case of the monoshock Cafe conversions, I think a shorter swing arm would reduce the amount of open space in the area of the shock. It would look less like a drag race or Hill climb bike that has an extended swing arm to help keep the wheelies down.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That guy has the most grating , computer -generated voice imaginable....
It kind of grew on me but I admit the combination of the accent and the choppiness of the computer generation is sometimes annoying.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,191 Posts
In other markets, like where they got the Eurosport, Honda offered this series several years after they were pulled from North America. In some of those places, registration is by the year of sale, regardless how long it might have languished in dealer inventory.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,191 Posts
I think both Eurosport models have what we would consider 650 valve covers.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Aren't the valve/rocker covers interchangeable if you use the original bolts?...many like the later covers as they more angular (also like those "Joker" covers that pop up)

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the covers are interchangeable. I think the bolts are the same, too.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At 3.49 we see a bare euro type frame. But the bike starts out with a single spar frame at the beginning.

Unless that bike was just his inspiration.
For the first 30 seconds or more he is showing other CX cafes that he has done video reports on. And then he says but there's one that he has not done yet and he goes into the E-Series.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After closer inspection, 650 engine has a oil pan at the 500 engines do not. I could not see a oil pan in any of the videos. The name badge just says Honda but that could be interchanged also. The starter motor has a Phillips screw and its side but I think all starter motors and especially the 500s had the Phillips screw. So it is likely a 1986 CX 500e.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
beautiful bike.....
i recall the "author"/"host" of this TVchannel did his own 650...for the few that missed it...featured briefly in the intro....

·
Registered
1 Posts
It kind of grew on me but I admit the combination of the accent and the choppiness of the computer generation is sometimes annoying.
It is computer generated, and you will occasionally hear it on other unrelated you tube videos. This guy is from Portugal, so his English is probably not as good as he would like for presenting his videos. He tried recently for one video to use a human professional presenter, which was overwhelmingly rejected by his viewers. So his channel will always be associated with this AI english accent.
I highly recommend this channel, as he explains very well the design ethos, and has covered many CX cafe racers, including his own build.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts