Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup... quiet... I want a bike so quiet it could sneak up on a Ninja!

Well, some noise is ok.

Anyways... '79 CX500 Standard, and it's missing the mufflers. Right now I just need them on to get the bike running and not angering the neighbors. Winter, I'll take it down to the frame and when done I am hoping straight through exhaust, So looking to find something that will work right now, that I can also use when I go straight through. Matte black preferred, and either straight or tapered in at the ends.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reactions: Tom in Newcastle

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yup... quiet... I want a bike so quiet it could sneak up on a Ninja!

Well, some noise is ok.

Anyways... '79 CX500 Standard, and it's missing the mufflers. Right now I just need them on to get the bike running and not angering the neighbors. Winter, I'll take it down to the frame and when done I am hoping straight through exhaust, So looking to find something that will work right now, that I can also use when I go straight through. Matte black preferred, and either straight or tapered in at the ends.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Find a pair of "take off" HD Sportster or Wideglide mufflers that haven't been gutted (i.e., full baffle sets are still in place). I have a pair myself that only cost about $20 each. You will be very happy with their rather mellow sound when attached to our twisted twin engines. If too quiet, one or more 3/8" holes drilled from the rear will incrementally "improve" the tone for you. I used one of those long drills the electricians use. Any good sized hardware outlet will have them in stock.

The chrome on them can't be beat and their only draw back is that they are rather heavy. Mine were from a Glide and were just about 7 pounds each. At that they were easily 2 or even 3 times heavier than my single baffle after market mufflers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give those a look... and although the chrome can't be beat, I'm sure it can be sanded. :D

I have a dislike of shiny stuff... everything on my bike when done will be satin black, grey and maybe some aluminum.

Mellow sounds good though... I don't want one of those loud mufflers that sound like a wet fart from a fat man driving down the street. Kinda want more like how my car sounds.

Eventually, I'd like black mufflers, and that white/cream exhaust wrap... straight through and perfectly parallel to the ground (no angle up) so also want mufflers that aren't cone shaped. Picky I know but... hopefully looks good when done. :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Nice and quiet until you really get onto the throttle that is!
Then you get a very noticeable and unique sound that can be heard a long way off.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a set of Harley exhausts HARFXS1584 with heat shields.... $65 OBO... would those work?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FINALLY got a response from the guy with the Harley's (HARFXS1584)...

Said "the outside diameter is 1 7/8 inch and inside diameter 1 3/4 inch. The baffles are still inside."

Since mine never had mufflers on it when I bought it, I'm not sure if these slide in or over what I have... I assume over but, doesn't hurt to post and get a 2nd opinion. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
I found that if I do not turn on the bike it is very quite. i love a bit of sound to tell the cars that are so quite that I am here.
JUST MY THOUGHTS

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ones I was looking at have the baffles but not seeing any tabs in the pics...

Volume wise, to each his own, if you like them loud go for it, I don't like unnecessary noise personally which is why I started the thread.

·
Registered
398 Posts
No tabs no problem....I cut the tabs off my sportster pipes and mounted them as shown.
I have since removed them and went back to my stock pipes,sold these to a member.
I found that these were about the same noise level as my stock ,maybe a bit deeper ..but then I'm going a bit deaf :( ........too many years not being careful with noise.

Auto part Muffler Pipe Auto part Automotive exhaust Vehicle Exhaust system Muffler Vehicle Motor vehicle Exhaust system Car Auto part Tire Vehicle Auto part Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Old thread, but got caught up fixing other stuff and still never bought any pipes. :D

Was eyeing up these ones on eBay...

Seller says "They are universal so a bracket would need to made to mount them. As long as the diameter of your exhaust outlet is in between 1 3/4" and 1 3/8" it can be made to work on your bike. And yes they are pretty quiet."

They're what I'm after appearance wise... little confused how they can be quiet and be called megaphones though, seen other ads that said 'megaphone silencers' which to me is an oxymoron.

Think they'll fit? I may have to post a photo because I don't think I have a lot of pipe to work with coming off the x-over... I want straight through eventually but for now I need something. Makes sense to buy what I'm after vs 2 sets of pipes. Been on Kijiji but, used set of Harley's are usually about $120-$140 in my area. Cheaper in Toronto, but, the $60 gas and 3h driving there/back cancel out what I'd save.

Cylinder Muffler Auto part

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Those megaphones are loud as hell and I even repacked mine and added a an extra baffle

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So.... the seller is full of crap is what you're saying? :D

I thought it weird that megaphone would mean quiet.

The baffle on these, just take the end off and it pulls out? To make it quieter wrap it in fiberglass and slide back in? wrapping it will also increase the back pressure right? I want to switch to straight pipes and the air pods, but hoping to keep the carbs I have... heard in addition to jetting issues, back pressure may be an issue as well.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Straight pipe will in no way be quieter EVER.. and sounds crappy to me. Im really happy with the sportster exhaust sound, Not loud but has a nice mellow rumble.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well, I meant not a straight open pipe... rather, lose that bulky x-over underneath the CX500 and go straight to the mufflers. Or is that what you mean also?

Tried finding satin/matte black Harley pipes online cheap but, not gonna happen. Hate chrome and doubt I'd get paint to stay on it very well if I went that route. That's why I started looking for ones that are black from the factory.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well, I meant not a straight open pipe... rather, lose that bulky x-over underneath the CX500 and go straight to the mufflers. Or is that what you mean also?

Tried finding satin/matte black Harley pipes online cheap but, not gonna happen. Hate chrome and doubt I'd get paint to stay on it very well if I went that route. That's why I started looking for ones that are black from the factory.
Sand the muffler down and paint..

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I too wanted quiet ninja-like mufflers on my GL500 trike So I got a pair of Honda Acclaim Auto mufflers and ran Dual pipes from my headers and in a straight pipe fashion back down the center side by side until they met the up-sweep of the frame then followed that angle where they met the upper level and then each pipe through a couple 90 degree bends made it to the two mufflers on either side of the trike body as duals. They still sound like a motorcycle. I did have one leak which I have not heard since being welded closed

See my Radio Flyer build for pictures.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sand the muffler down and paint..
Thought about that but, to get the surface good enough to paint I was worried about seeing scratch marks from the sanding. Saw a few things online about that... having never sanded off chrome before I'm assuming it's harder to get off than paint and harder to sand out scratches as well.

Maybe I'll revisit the Harley pipes and use specialty paint... seen manifold paint for cars, would probably do the trick.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I too wanted quiet ninja-like mufflers on my GL500 trike So I got a pair of Honda Acclaim Auto mufflers and ran Dual pipes from my headers and in a straight pipe fashion back down the center side by side until they met the up-sweep of the frame then followed that angle where they met the upper level and then each pipe through a couple 90 degree bends made it to the two mufflers on either side of the trike body as duals. They still sound like a motorcycle. I did have one leak which I have not heard since being welded closed

See my Radio Flyer build for pictures.
Checked out your profile, there was an album there for the Radio Flyer but 0 photos.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts