Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the service and I may need to store my bike for a little over a year. What I am concerned about is the coolant deteriorating and start to break down the coolant system. As well as the normal factors of a bike sitting for an extended period of time. I checked out the quick ref but I did not see any thing in there on this subject. Could we get something in there unless im a moron and missing it.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
I don't know of anything specific on the site here.

Change the oil so it's got clean oil in it.

Cut fuel supply to the carbs and drain them.

Either completely fill the fuel tank or drain it. If filling it add stabil and be prepared to ditch it when recommissioning.

Lube everything.

EDIT - Maybe take the plugs out, squirt in a bit of oil, give it a quick crank and put the plugs back.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
What CXP said plus pull the battery out and store inside. Have someone trickle charge it every couple of months. It that isn't possible, give it a good charge and hope for the best. The coolant should be fine for at least a year. My choice would be to start the bike with the petcock turned off and then open the drains. When the bike starts to falter, give it some choke until it dies. Then fill the tank with fuel and add Stabil or Seafoam. It will probably still be good in a year, but given the choice, I would run it in my lawn mower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.