Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24,175 Posts
blindstich

i think the long termplan we have discussed is that now that the wiki is hosted on the forum the quick reference will become data that is also in the wiki

so the quick reference will be maintained and the links the same as the ones in the wiki so it will be gotten to and fixed or

anyone can let us know what does not work and it will be fixed (jc and all am i right?? lol)

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
Yeah but some of those links go outside of the forum. Much like the Rob Davis stuff sites disappear. That's the reason why Shep let me spam his forum to build some. Once consumed into the WIKI everything should be fine.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for keeping it working for us.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
I have spent a few evenings over the past couple of weeks pruning dead links from the list and compacting it to make it less cumbersome. It's not done yet - there are still some duplicate links and probably a fair bit of stuff that should be added.

Should the effort go into a quick reference list in a forum sticky or into an equivalent page on the Wiki? Editing the Wiki is still problematic, I think, as I don't think Verticalscope have fixed the problems we reported a while back.

·
Super Moderator
20,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Until the wiki is a reliable storage space the info might be best left in quick reference.

Duplication as back up would also be good I think JC.

But .... it's you that has to do this stuff so I'll go with your best thoughts.

Quick reference {initial post} seems to full and doesn't want to be edited any more. A second post on the thread would likely sort that though.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
I tend to agree with the duplicity here and in the Wiki. I'm still a bit stuck on remembering all the ins and outs of the Wiki, as JC knows when the Turbo manual came along (I have it saved as a PDF, it's large). Since VS has come along, we've had very few forum issues like dropped data or the like, so maintaining the QR is fairly safe compared to the old days.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Who edits the Wiki? I've seen a few things that could use some attention.
For an instance.
"Mix up around 2.5 liters(0.25 US Gal) 50/50 coolant with Distilled water(Rain Water/Melted Freezer ice)."
2.5L is about a third US Gal (.66) and you can buy the premix so mixing 50/50 with water would be running at 25%.
I don't know the volume specs for all the bikes or if it includes the bottle but 25% is too low for any temperature.
How about,
"you'll need about a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water (see chart) and have at least 5L (1.25 US gal). You can mix your own or buy it premixed."
Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
How about,
"you'll need about a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water (see chart) and have at least 5L (1.25 US gal). You can mix your own or buy it premixed."
Just a thought.
My thought ist: When will You need the remaining 2,5 liters mixed coolant ?
In two years, in 10 years ....?

For this:
"Mix up around 2.5 liters(0.25 US Gal) 50/50 coolant with Distilled water(Rain Water/Melted Freezer ice)."
It looks like that too much information in one single sentence

Maybe better ist this:
"Mix up around 1.25 liters(0.25 US Gal) 50/50 coolant with 1.25 liters Distilled water(Rain Water/Melted Freezer ice)."
or
"Mix up around 1.25 liters(0.25 US Gal) with 1.25 liters Distilled water(Rain Water/Melted Freezer ice).to have a 50/50 coolant"

and NO I'm not nitpicking :D
NO not at all :p

·
Registered
24,175 Posts
as a suggestion to dealing with this and keeping my sanity in referring people to the quick reference section all the time

we might consider splitting it and starting gl500/650 /ti ignition /mono shock reference

that way the frames and forks ignition systems /wiring

and everything that is different from the cxs will be in its own section allowing a simple

differentiation between types

with the only cross over being the 82 custom

you might even start a customization quick reference to take the common to both type mods and put them there

i think it would condense both so it would be easier for people to search

and leave room to grow for all the sections

and give us a chance to re organize as the way it is now has become helter skelter

·
Registered
318 Posts
My thought ist: When will You need the remaining 2,5 liters mixed coolant ?
In two years, in 10 years ....?

For this: It looks like that too much information in one single sentence

Maybe better ist this:
"Mix up around 1.25 liters(0.25 US Gal) 50/50 coolant with 1.25 liters Distilled water(Rain Water/Melted Freezer ice)."
or
"Mix up around 1.25 liters(0.25 US Gal) with 1.25 liters Distilled water(Rain Water/Melted Freezer ice).to have a 50/50 coolant"

and NO I'm not nitpicking :D
NO not at all :p
All of the math is messed up, the original, mine and yours guelli02. Mine should have read "2.5L is about a 2/3 US Gal (.66). I won't do the rest of the math and I'm likely still wrong and I guess I am picking the nits and I apologize for that.
But I'm not splitting hairs. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Who edits the Wiki? I've seen a few things that could use some attention.
Eric,
According to the Wiki site information, any user can edit, but urges creating a user name and password that will then be associated with your IP address. However, I'm not certain this is entirely accurate for how our Wiki is set up. I don't know for sure, but I think there are just some usernames (perhaps 4-6) who have the privilege of editing.

JC would know for sure how our Wiki is set up.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Account approval is in the hands of the Admins (Verticalscope) rather than the mods and under Forum Foundry they were interested in keeping that number as small as possible to reduce the security risk to the server. I presume Verticalscope will feel the same way, though if there is interest in making the Wiki more widely editable and opening up the accounts to more forum members we could always put that to the Wiki team and see whether we want to ask Verticalscope about that.

·
Registered
24,175 Posts
why dont we move the wiki away from vertiscope control and find a permanent service to cover

it

the wiki is the property of the community and we should be able to maintain and grow it as we need

i for one would do a annual contribution to host it

maybe some one could (jc?) help us find a stable home for it

this has already happened once and cause it to be moved

i would like it in its own place and in fact i would like to be able to buy annual dvd (encyclopidia cx)

that i could jut load on my laptop for real quick reference and print out or pdf forwarding to help people

there that my dream

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Then it is generally shameful that he is covered by donations of only 3.89% of his costs. :eek::(

Through 2016 website donations covered a mere 3.89% of the cost of keeping this website online... please consider donating to keep the site going.
Like the site? Found an article helpful? Help me maintain it and write more articles! We serve millions of how-to pictures annually and it's not cheap! The advertising does help but it falls well short. We're not a charity or not for profit, so this isn't tax deductible and you won't receive anything physical for hitting "buy it now" - only gratitude!

The online tools (the CX500 stator test etc.) take well over a hundred hours of coding to complete - with some more support I can fund further tools whose coding requirements are beyond my abilities.
In the moment I used the yellow button PAY NOW

·
Registered
24,175 Posts
i agree jc has been very helpful he has taken the time to make tools i have dreamed of for years

like the stator test and diagnose tool he and his wife (also a programmer) worked on that for weeks

then the ordering tool for group buys they did for cobram to help hm manage group orders

and all the articles that jc does and writes

he is always working on something

so any of you out there that use his motofaction site for reference

toss a donation that way once a year or as you see fit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts