Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
No, the GL500's all use a mechanical fan on the front end of the camshaft. Only the GL and CX650's came with an electric fan. You will probably need to remove the radiator and see what is happening in there. These fans are plastic and it is not unusual for them to come apart. Sometimes taking out the radiator with it. The plastic fan has a aluminum hub that is a taper fit to the camshaft and can easily be removed using a M14x1.5 bolt in the hub.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Those are some good words. I don't think the fan at idle kicks out that much air. If I was plagued by massive amounts of stand still traffic I would probably convert to electric activated by a sensor.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
within 20 min in traffic i'm almost in red..

You have never said if you have a 500 or a 650. The 650 always comes close to the red (with no problems) before the fan comes on. If you have a 500 you need to check your fan to make sure it isn't broken.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
To check the fan, look carefully on the left hand (clutch) side looking forward and you can usually see the fan blade tips if you turn it by hand with a 17 mm in the hole in the front of the engine that you use for setting the valves. You will only see the tips of the fan, but that is enough to know if the fan has gone to pieces.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It might also be a good idea to check your bikes temperature with a thermometer to make sure it's actually overheating, and not just the gauge reading to high.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Bike gets BURNING Hot to the air even..
Something is not right with your cooling system. A GL500 should never get burning hot. Start out by checking to see that coolant level is right to the top of the radiator. Don't check the plastic overflow tank but check it at the radiator by taking off the cap while cold. If fluid is up to the top, then perhaps the thermostat isn't opening as it should. My '81 GL500 had overheating issues and the problem was the impeller splines were completely ground out so it didn't turn properly. Got a new impeller from ebay for $20.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also, where are you riding? I know here in Columbus when it gets 90+ and I'm in traffic it gets pretty warm. If you are riding in hot weather that could be a factor since I've always heard that these bikes never run in the 'normal' range and always a bit warmer. Add hot weather and traffic and that just amplifies the problem.

·
Registered
977 Posts
When the temperature outside is in the 90's and I am not on the open road the highest my temp gets is about 1/2 way up on the thick band which is to the right of center. Mine is a naked GL500

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.