Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, i hope this would be a simple question, it's ONE wire... so maybe someone can help an electrical diagram illiterate guy out(I've never been good with wiring, so bear with me).

After modifying my fairing, and having separated and marked very clearly any wires that came apart when i took it off, i replaced evertyhing I marked, and everything worked great. Except the tail light. Whatever wire controls that came out after i removed the fairing, and therefor wasn't marked. Everything else works fine, brake lights, signals, etc. Just the taillights don't come on.

Out of all the wires that are in that 1978 rat's nest behind the light, a green wire is the only one i suspect(clean, shiney bullet connector with no corrosion at all). My question is if that's the wire i'm missing, and where it might go. I'm really bad with wiring diagrams, and as such, even after looking them over, i'm pretty sure this is my wire, but i'm unsure of where to plug it in. If pictures are required, let me know and i'll get out there as soon as i can and get a couple of shots. Thanks again, i really appreciate it in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
If it's a green with a bullet connector [I'm assuming male?] it will go to a green female, possibly a double female connector.

Ths may be the problem with your tail light as Honda use a full earth return circuit. [in green]

Don't be tempted to plug the wire into any other coloured wiring as this will probably release the magic smoke or blow fuses.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's a green with a bullet connector [I'm assuming male?] it will go to a green female, possibly a double female connector.

Ths may be the problem with your tail light as Honda use a full earth return circuit. [in green]

Don't be tempted to plug the wire into any other coloured wiring as this will probably release the magic smoke or blow fuses.

I have some serious doubt that there's a fault. It worked fine on friday when i removed it, and doesn't work now. But now that you mention it, i may have just honestly missed it's mate. Looking back on the diagram, yeah, there's a lot of connections on that circuit. So maybe it's lurking somewhere in that nest. I blame the heat from yesterday, after being outside for 4 hours, doing all the other work(fairing work, tune up, oil change and valve adjustment)I think i just gave up out of frustration.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's generally best to quit once you hit mental burnout for the day. This state of mind only leads to stupid mistakes.

Does the brake light work?

I agree.

Yes, the brake lights work just fine. I took the bike out before the sun went down just to make sure everything else was working fine.

That's why i'm guessing it's that green bullet. I suspect its somewhere in this area that i should be looking.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
I'd check that lonely bullet connector up front but I'd also be checking connections closer to the tail light as the earth wires in this area seem to join into a common green going forward.

You may not have done any work in the area but it wouldn't be the first time an unrelated fault has snuck in on a bike while it was being worked on.

I'd also be looking at the brown wire back there as tat appears to be the power feed to the tail light globes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and just let me tell ya how happy i am at the prospect of a fault somewhere else on the bike.

I'm going to go down to the driveway in a bit and see what i can find, I continue to put my faith in my being hamfisted enough to cause a wire to pop out of it's connector and for it to be that simple. In time i've had the bike, i've been lucky, and this is how all problems have been resolved.

I usually like to blame myself before i blame the bike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tracked it down to a bad bullet connector closer to the rear light. After i replaced the fuse, you could hear it zapping. replaced it, and tada, good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.