Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not the buying/selling area, but I am not yet selling my bike, just askin questions to help me sell it eventually. I was hoping to get some insite from the minds of cs gurus here.

I got a 1979 cx500 Deluxe from my dad who got it from someone else. Right now it is in pretty good condition. As far as I can tell it has never been wrecked, or laid over (not on my watch anyway). I have cleaned it up pretty good (lots of cycles of seafoam and new fluid everywhere) and have put a little work into it.

The guy my dad got it from let it sit for god knows how many years in a garage and i snagged it out of my dads garage. It has 17,500 miles on it now but 2500 are mine.

So far i have:

• changed all the fluids (front and back) and oil filter
  • did the electric fan conversion
  • did the voltage regulator fix for the temp gauge
  • replaced the speedometer and cable
  • iridium spark plugs
  • had the carburetor rebuilt and changed air filter
  • brand new tires front and back
  • new battery
  • rode it quite a bit

It gets about 40-45 mpg estimated and runs great and idles smooth at 1100rpm once its warmed up. And I still have all the parts of things I took off like the fan and radiator shroud, etc.

I am looking to upgrade to a bigger bike (eyeing a blue/black v65 sabre >:) so I was going to get rid of this little guy but I dont want to rip someone off, and I dont want to get ripped off so my question is, what is a good price range I should work in? Any input is greatly appreciated.

http://twitpic.com/4hxrsz

http://twitpic.com/4hxro6

http://twitpic.com/4hxqoa

·
Registered
126 Posts
I saw no mention of CDI being replaced and that's at least 165 to get that done.... I dunno most of the running ones I've seen go for 500-1000 with a clean title. I could be way off though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw no mention of CDI being replaced and that's at least 165 to get that done.... I dunno most of the running ones I've seen go for 500-1000 with a clean title. I could be way off though.
oh, it runs just great. I have not ever had a problem with starting it or keeping it running. It did have an oil leak but that was resolved with a new gasket. Whoever put the last one on, got a fold on the top right so it would spit oil when it got warm enough. That was mostly why my dad kept it in the garage rather than ride it. He had another bike and no time to fix this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes pictures say more than a few words. We cant really judge condition from words.
yea i do realize i should post pictures, I was just at work and wanted to get some brains going during the daylight hours. Plus, i didnt want it to get yanked for looking too much like a buy this bike post. I can get some pics posted soon. about to head home where the bike is (couldnt ride to work today
)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Links work. Nice and clean looking CX.
thanks. yea my next step is to just clean the dust and grease and gunk off of her.

When she had the oil leak, there was an attempted fix of putting some sort of silicone sealant on there so that needs to be peeled off. and of course there is where the oil sprayed. it sat and collected road dust and grime and still does so to this day until i can get it cleaned off. She will shine before I am done with her if i can just find a day to get that done.

·
Registered
336 Posts
She's a pretty clean specimen. I would clean her up, polish the aluminum to make more of a first impression, and ask $950. As for price, there's a real psychological break between $950 and $1000. You're more likely to get offers if you start below $1000.

David in Rochester

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.