Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forums and hope I am in the right place!

I just got a 1981 GL500 that, body-wise, needs some TLC but the engine is in good shape and is completely drivable. Now I am looking to restore it and need pointed in the right direction for parts. Things it needs are fairly basic and I have found most of what I need from eBay and whatnot but I am wondering about the gas tank and fairings.

The tank has some decent dents in it but not a ton of rust inside, my question is where is a good place to find a replacement and are there any other models that share the same or similar tanks that I can look for? Also it is missing the right fairing opposite of the one that goes over the battery, where is a good place to find one of those?

Other things it needs are front / back blinkers, headlight casing and speedometer casing. Think I found those online at a decent price but having a heck of a time finding tanks and fairings. I would also like to replace the back luggage case with a passenger seat, any suggestions there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can start restoring this great bike!

Thanks in advance and nice to meet everyone!

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Welcome to the forum MechaJubei. Take a moment to fill in your profile with your location, and put your bike type in the signature line, that will help us help you more. You also may find someone that is nearby to give a hand now and then.

As to your question, if you haven't, take a look in the General Discussion section for the thread on Quick Reference. There is a plethora of information in there that will help you out.

The items you mention are some of the less available things, but there are usually some finds to be had. Some of the guys here may even have what you need, it's not uncommon.

And you DID find the right place, the BEST place.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Some cities have motorcycle junk yards which might help you. Check your yellow pages. Otherwise, as all ready said, the best bet is ebay.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Nice to meet everyone. I definitely am keeping close tabs on eBay and Craigslist. There is a local motorcycle yard that I plan on going to once the snow lets up.

As far as the gas tanks go, are there any other model's tanks that fit a GL500 without too much hassle?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hey,a warm welcome from the south of spain

also,here on the forum,we have a buying and selling section

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have learned from my other projects that having a parts bike is the best way to go if you have the space, buying parts like the turn signals, side covers, etc, individually can add up pretty quick especially if you're paying to have them shipped. Keep an eye out and be patient, one will pop up in your area before long, don't pay more than $100-$200 for one though. With a parts bike you will have lots of extra parts that you could sell individually or just keep as spares.

I'm sure someone on here will know if the GL500 and GL650 use the same tank and fairing parts, probably but I'm not sure since I have a standard CX500. A dealer in Dover Delaware has a GL500 in sorry shape for $400, too much money for what it is and across the country from you, but they may ship the gas tank. Check CL Annapolis MD if interested.

Have fun with your project!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.