Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 80 CX500D. The owner has said it needs a stator. She says shes a mechanic and has done tests for why it has no spark. It's definitely been a while since I was involved with motorcycle troubleshooting (30+ years) but, isn't a stator like an alternator on a car? It just charges the battery right? As long as it's connected to a good battery won't it run without the stator working?

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
She's probably right in her diagnosis. {Though not neccessarily} The early bikes [up to 82] have CDI which takes it's power from 2 windings on the stator. A common failure on these bikes.

Don't let that put you off the bike if it's the right price, there's a couple of fixes for this.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
An ignitech could figure that out pretty quick.

It also will not tell you if it is the stator for sure. It could be the CDI.

It would solve either of these problems though.

As Shep said though, if the charging windings are bad or have a short to ground, it will not help that scenario.

You should ask her if she tested the stator, what exactly is wrong with it.

Is it the low speed ignition winding or is there a problem in the charging part of the stator.

If it was a short in the charging windings, unplugging the three yellow wires under the seat would probably let you start the bike to hear it running.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
yeah

What they said

the CX CDI stator isnt like a car one

it has two parts

one for battery charging

one for powering the CDI/ignition system

A quick test will tell you what part has failed

and as said above, if its just the CDI power coils failed, an Ignitech

is an option to get it running without dropping the engine.

Its a very good addition anyway

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, you guys are top notch. It all makes sense now. I doubt I'll get that motorcycle. I think she wants to much for it. She's had it sitting for 2 years but says she'll work on it this winter if it doesn't sell and get the big bucks for a running bike. I just began to wonder if her diagnosis made sense. Of course if I do get it I'll do my own tests before I spend my money.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Wow, you guys are top notch. It all makes sense now. I doubt I'll get that motorcycle. I think she wants to much for it. She's had it sitting for 2 years but says she'll work on it this winter if it doesn't sell and get the big bucks for a running bike. I just began to wonder if her diagnosis made sense. Of course if I do get it I'll do my own tests before I spend my money.

Thanks
What's the price if you don't mind me asking? What make, model year, mileage, amount of rust, etc? Odds are we can tell you if it's a decent price or not, we know these bikes pretty well in case ya didn't notice lol, I prefer asking someone who knows the actual vehicle rather than someone who knows about vehicles in general...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.