Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

During the engine teardown I managed to scratch the cylinder wall when removing the piston. Below are some images that show the scratch I am concerned with (hard to capture in an image). . There is definitely a defined scratch I can feel when wiping my fingers across it. . Is this something I should be concerned about? I was looking at purchasing a honing tool to try and smooth it out some (image also shown below). Looking for peoples opinons/experience on this. Did I destroy the block and should I start looking for a new one?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Water Fluid

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part
Product Font Parallel Screenshot Diagram

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Fender Gas

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Wheel

Images will obviously not do any justice

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino Trail - 2021 CSC SG400 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - Several CX project bikes
1,770 Posts
Lightly hone it until there are no high edges. If there are no high edges, don't bother honing it. Then run it. You'll have zero problems. I had a V30 that broke a wrist pin, and the rod put a 2mm deep 1" long vertical scar on the cylinder. Honed the high points off fit a new rod and piston and went on my merry way. It used a little oil, but it ran like a top for another 10k miles. That was a deep gouge, yours is a tiny scuff, I think you'll be completely fine.

Charles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try to hone it a bit to see if it will smooth out some and just run as-is.

Thanks,
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts