Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I wire my CX500 so that ONLY the rear turn signals will blink? I want to eliminate the front signals. Thanks.

·
Registered
816 Posts
How can I wire my CX500 so that ONLY the rear turn signals will blink? I want to eliminate the front signals. Thanks.

Howdy, and welcome to the Board.

Right off the top of my head, you can just unplug them and the rear's should still blink. The OEM turn signal relay should still work ok. All this is based on when I was trouble shooting my issue with the fronts not working but the backs did (turned out the ground wire for the fronts was not grounding well under the nacelle.)

Also, check your local motor vehicle laws for inspections. In most states, if you have signals you need them front and back (?) and they all have to work. What's the reason for eliminating just the front?

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
It's generally been my experience that if you disconnect an indicator the remaining one will flash at double the speed due to the loss of the current draw. You also need to take into account any legal regulation there may be in your locale regarding flasher speed.

Flasher relays are generally designated for the number and wattage of globes to be run from them. [21 + 21 + 4 = 46]

You should be able to acheive normal flasher speed with one rated for around 25W if you can find one.

Your bike, your choice, but personally I'd leave the front indicators right where they are. My 95c {2c allowing for exchange, fees and inflation].

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Yeah just remove the turn signals wiring. If the blinking is a problem pick up a newer blinker relay for led lights.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I disconnected the front left, then the back left would not blink. It would just stay on. Then, I disconnected the front right with the same result. I wonder if the flasher needs to be changed to a different type to make it blink at rear only. Could it be the flasher that senses that a bulb is burned out so that it will not flash...

·
Registered
152 Posts
The OEM honda flasher is a thermal unit and needs the extra current of two bulbs to heat up and flash. You can replace the flasher with the one Stich posted a link to or pick-up any electronic flasher from a local auto parts or WalMart store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.