Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am working on lowering my 78' cx500. To lower the front end I wanted to pull the forks up about 1.5 inches. The problem I am encountering is this plastic headlight case that houses the headlight, gauges, and all is in the way of the bolts I need to get to.
How can I remove this or move it enough to get access to the bolts to loosen up the forks? Anyone have a link to a tutorial?

After this I will be ordering some short shocks. The current are 13 inches form eyelet to eyelet. What size are the eyelets? I don't want to buy some shocks and find out they dont fit.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This is an easy one! At least the first part.

The headlight case is held to the upper triple tree by two rather long bolts. 10 mm hex head, accessible from above, behind the backside of the instrument casing. A 10 mm socket, a short extension plus a ratchet handle. There should be a washer under the bolt head. Loosen both bolts, take them out and tip the headlamp case forward. That´s all!

It´ll want to fall down, but cables and such are holding it back. On the underside the case is held by two "pegs". Make it free and you´ll be able to loosen the triple tree clamps without problem.

Part 2:

I can´t tell from memory how large the eyelets are. Why not just measure those you have on the bike?

Sture

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is an easy one! At least the first part.

The headlight case is held to the upper triple tree by two rather long bolts. 10 mm hex head, accessible from above, behind the backside of the instrument casing. A 10 mm socket, a short extension plus a ratchet handle. There should be a washer under the bolt head. Loosen both bolts, take them out and tip the headlamp case forward. That´s all!

It´ll want to fall down, but cables and such are holding it back. On the underside the case is held by two "pegs". Make it free and you´ll be able to loosen the triple tree clamps without problem.

Part 2:

I can´t tell from memory how large the eyelets are. Why not just measure those you have on the bike?

Sture

Thanks Sture! I am very new to all of this and without you guys I would be sunk. I am waiting on a service manual in the mail. Hopefully when that comes in it can solve some of my riddles.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi C.A.M!

We all have to start somewhere. I can guarantee you that my first questions (and achievements), after I had got my first CX, weren´t very advanced. We´re learning, all the time. Things that seemed really difficult at the time (15 years ago) now feel familiar and easy. Although I may know one or two things about our bikes, I´m still learning. Visiting this site on a regular basis would be one of the wisest things to do for a CX / GL 500/650 owner.

An Owners Workshop Manual and checking in here regularly is the way to go!

Good luck!

Sture

1 - 5 of 5 Posts