Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I have a question regarding the rear monoshock on my CX650 E.

I find the suspension is VERY rough and stiff going over bumps in the road and if i'm going over a bridge the metal joints are really rough and feel so hard on my bike.

I find this very hard on my bike and I ride 2 up on my 650 E a lot with my gf, as we both enjoy riding together and doing little trips on the weekend but we both agree that the rear monoshock feels very hard and does not have much "give" to it.

Any ideas on how to improve the function of the monoshock.

I was reading the post in January about the servicing of the monoshock and how challenging it is to find a oil seal.

Is there a way to check if the oil is low? or is there a way to fill the monoshock back up with oil?

I actually have two monoshocks, one on my bike, one off my parts bike.

Is there a good test to see which monoshock will perform better? I guess I could just replace it with parts bike's monoshock and see if it feels better...

I also have a question regarding air pressure in the monoshock.

How much Air pressure do you guys recommend I have in the monoshock to result in the most "comfortable" ride for both of us. I am 145 pounds and she is 125, so it's not as if I am trying to ride with over 300 pounds on the bike so I don't think that should be an issue.

Currently I have 0 PSI in the shock because I do not want to make the suspension any stiffer than it already is. Is this my mistake? Should I actually have 20-30 PSI in the shock to make the ride more comfortable?

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Most bikes with air suspension ride like crap when there is no air in there. I would put at least ten pounds in. Be sure to use a hand pump, not the air hose at the gas station, those will blow out the seals, or the air lines. I would work with the air at first and play with various pressure settings to see if you can get a better ride. If it will hold air pressure alright your seals are probably not in too bad shape. I have seen discussions about replacement shocks from the UK that would probably solve your problem if the air does not help.

I will check on your engine guard later this week and give you list of parts I want off of your other junk bike.

Ed

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
So did you get your shock to work better? I was going to say too it is probably your linkage that is seized somewhere.

I am working on my rear shock now. My seal is ok but I wanted to change the 28 year old oil. A press is needed to service the shock, I made a press using a 6 ton bottle jack and some 2x4's that is working well.

·
Registered
745 Posts
hi mr softie, well, may try to tackel the mono shock ,,,, there seams to be several bushings ( sleeves ) that may need to be replaced, any way i will read more on "how to " before i atempt this. can you send a pic on the jack that you made ,,,thanks

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
hi mr softie, well, may try to tackel the mono shock ,,,, there seams to be several bushings ( sleeves ) that may need to be replaced, any way i will read more on "how to " before i atempt this. can you send a pic on the jack that you made ,,,thanks

Hi Raul, there is a good tutorial of the pro link rebuild here

I started a thread about my monoshock oil change HERE it has some pics of my press and a few links to informative articles and threads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.