Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 CX500c, 83 GL650i
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this evening I took out my GL650 for a quick little ride at dusk, and I noticed that my headlight pattern seemed strange/asymmetrical. Instead of producing a uniform "line" of light across the horizon, I noticed that one side seemed to veer upwards. Unfortunatley, I don't have a photo but I can try to take one.

I figured that maybe I had installed some kind of wonky halogen bulb.

When I got back to the garage, I went around to inspect the headlight, and I noticed that the lens of the headlamp has a pattern that I find odd. Looking closely, the pattern of the glass is definitely not symmetrical - it has a strange pattern on one side only.

I noticed that on my CX500, it too has patterns but they mirror one another on each side.

I should note that this lamp I'm using came from some other bike, but I don't know what from. It's a BOSCH lamp.

Here's what I find strange:

I thought perhaps I had mounted the headlamp incorrectly, but the lens is marked with a "TOP" designation and I have it in the right place.

Why are the lenses made this way? Does it serve some purpose?

·
Registered
81 CX500c, 83 GL650i
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug, it is indeed a halogen one....I had been tossing around the idea of going for an LED one but changed my mind. I did get some weird brand (probably Chinese) off of Amazon that had good reviews, but I'm thinking I should have stayed with the brand I am familiar with - Sylvania.

Bob, the picture above (top instance) looks EXACTLY like what my bike is doing. Fascinating! The lack of symmetry bugged me, but now that I understand it serves a purpose, I feel better about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts