Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 CX500c, 83 GL650i
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this evening I took out my GL650 for a quick little ride at dusk, and I noticed that my headlight pattern seemed strange/asymmetrical. Instead of producing a uniform "line" of light across the horizon, I noticed that one side seemed to veer upwards. Unfortunatley, I don't have a photo but I can try to take one.

I figured that maybe I had installed some kind of wonky halogen bulb.

When I got back to the garage, I went around to inspect the headlight, and I noticed that the lens of the headlamp has a pattern that I find odd. Looking closely, the pattern of the glass is definitely not symmetrical - it has a strange pattern on one side only.

I noticed that on my CX500, it too has patterns but they mirror one another on each side.

I should note that this lamp I'm using came from some other bike, but I don't know what from. It's a BOSCH lamp.

Here's what I find strange:

I thought perhaps I had mounted the headlamp incorrectly, but the lens is marked with a "TOP" designation and I have it in the right place.

Why are the lenses made this way? Does it serve some purpose?

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,677 Posts
Headlights are diffused differently on the side towards oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Yup as per post 2.
Travellers will often mask off areas when travelling between countries that drive on the correct side(left)😄....and those others...on the Euro continent it can change in several hundred miles.....

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Does any country in continental Europe drive on the left? I thought it was the UK there.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,305 Posts
The headlight beam pattern for a low beam should light up the full width of roadway without shining in the eyes of oncoming drivers as well as putting as much light as possible into the ditch on the side of the road the vehicle is driving on so that you can see pedestrians, animals or other hazards (if you do much driving at night in the country you will know what I mean).
In parts of the world where we drive on the right side of the road (the right side is the right side to drive on) that means the beam should be level on the left and higher on the right.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Are you sure you have a halogen bulb in there? I remember you talking about led bulbs not long ago. It can be hit and miss with led’s shining the right pattern in a given headlight assembly. I got lucky with the one I put in my Silverwing. It throws a perfect beam pattern. I put the exact same bulb in one of my bmw’s and it was dangerously horrible. I didn’t want to waste money on trying different ones that may or may not work so I just put a regular 9003/H4 halogen in it and now I can safely see at night.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
To clarify, cars (& sidecar outfits) intended for places where you drive on the right (correct) side of the road are set up with the driver on the left of the vehicle so they are called Left Hand Drive and vehicles set up for backward places where they drive on the left side of the road are set up with the driver on the right side of the vehicle so they are Right Hand Drive.
The headlight beam patterns should look like this
Car Automotive lighting Mode of transport Font Automotive design

·
Registered
81 CX500c, 83 GL650i
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug, it is indeed a halogen one....I had been tossing around the idea of going for an LED one but changed my mind. I did get some weird brand (probably Chinese) off of Amazon that had good reviews, but I'm thinking I should have stayed with the brand I am familiar with - Sylvania.

Bob, the picture above (top instance) looks EXACTLY like what my bike is doing. Fascinating! The lack of symmetry bugged me, but now that I understand it serves a purpose, I feel better about it.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,150 Posts
I figure we might have world peace when we can can figure out what side of the road to drive on, I vote down the middle!

• Haha
Reactions: lukaspriest

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
479 Posts
@bahn88

Nothing like pseudo science dumped onto the internet to become fact.

FWIW, Many Asian countries are Right-Hand drive.

I spent some time in Thailand. Rented a little 50 cc scooter. It was definitely weird making a right hand turn from the opposite side of the road. After about 10 km or so, my mind and driving habits adjusted. Now, I'm an ambidextrous driver. I have no problems driving on the wrong side of the road.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Back to lights, and lenses....anyone know if the old Honda sealed beams that had a symmetrical pattern on the lens were region specific..(left vs right drive) or "universal".??
My CX had a H4, but the CB has what I think is the original sealed beam.....on the road a bit dim but lights up the correct side for riding...(maybe aligned not to be blinding rather than designed that way....

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
I believe the headlights I replaced on my bikes (about 2008-9) were both the original type. The fairing that was on Eccles at the time was the original one from my '83 GL1100 (it was on every winter machine from '95 until it started cracking and I replaced it in 2014) and I'm 99% sure the headlight I removed from it was original to it. I'm not sure where the headlight that I replaced on the GoldWing came from but it was identical down to the Stanley brand name cast into the glass. Both are up in the attic somewhere and both have a lens pattern similar to the one Luke posted at the beginning of this thread.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I believe the headlights I replaced on my bikes (about 2008-9) were both the original type. The fairing that was on Eccles at the time was the original one from my '83 GL1100 (it was on every winter machine from '95 until it started cracking and I replaced it in 2014) and I'm 99% sure the headlight I removed from it was original to it. I'm not sure where the headlight that I replaced on the GoldWing came from but it was identical down to the Stanley brand name cast into the glass. Both are up in the attic somewhere and both have a lens pattern similar to the one Luke posted at the beginning of this thread.
Different Stanleys for different markets perhaps....even for the Cb. Uk had a H4....Oz and USA had sealed...tho Oz had a pilot tho with different retention system...not the usual 3 rings....
Heres my CB...a Stanley M/cycle..no pilot light.....
In the process of swap to H4...

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts