Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Would anyone know if a CX500 clutch can be swapped with a CX500T clutch?

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if my question is all to clear to everyone because 44 people have looked at it but, only one reply which was definative. It may just be that no one has attempted it.

So, here it goes again. "Has anyone put a CX500 Turbo clutch in a regular CX500."

I have a 1978 CX500 and a 1983 spare motor. The parts of both have been interchangable, being rocker arms, clutch, flywheel, stator and camchain tensioner. I have taken the least worn pieces from each and mix/matched them such rocker arms and clutch disks without a hitch. Some may say taboo, no no. But, it worked. Rocker arm clacking sound - gone. Clutch slip - gone. At least until I installed a 130/90X18" rear tire creating more load than the clutch can handle which caused the question top pop into my head, "Will a turbo clutch fit and work in my bike?"

The differences I can see from the parts catalog is where a CX clutch rides on a bushing with a thrust washer behind it where the Turbo has the thrust washer incorporated with the bushing as a shoulder.

The problem is without the specs for the bushing I.D. and shaft length on a Turbo as well as the spacing between crankshaft and primary transmission shaft it's hit or miss. I'm guessing the Turbo crankshaft may be larger to accomidate the increase in HP. I don't know. but, it stands to reason the clutch is stronger. it does have 6 springs as opposed to 4 in the non Turbo.

It would be nice to have a stronger clutch.

Is that screetching I hear from wheels spinning. Is that smoke I smell. :)

If it's possible, I can see Turbo clutch sales rise on Ebay.

Maybe that's why I only got 1 reponse out of 44 views.

SHHHHHHH. Nobody talk.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Aloha

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
sounds like your question is clear and concise..... but maybe there are others like me who understand what you're asking, but they're reading it to learn something. Even if it's one person who answers- it's someone who knows a TON about these bikes..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dakota, that's what I meant by I can see Turbo clutch sales on Ebay rising. I love your quote. By the the way how is the Gov enjoying his new digs anyway. I just can't see him being guilty of anything. He has such a neat executive style haircut!

Oh well, still awaiting that one answer to pop forth from the tonage

It's off topic but, a thought just sparked thinking about Blagojevich and Political corruption. Has anyone seen the new commercial about Corn Sugar AKA High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's obvious people are on to the fact that it's poison like a lot of stuff in our food. So, Lobbyists have successfully gotten the name changed, presumably sales have taken a dive and it worked with DDT. It makes your joints lock up, limiting range of motion and creating agonizing pain. I know first hand because it happened to me 2 years ago. Anyway in the commercial they state that "Corn Syrup and Sugar are basically they same thing" and I say so is a Woman and a Transvestite.

Aloha

·
Registered
170 Posts
Might be better if you asked this question on the turbo forum, but from looking at specs as far a I can see the turbo clutch is the same ratio as the 650 clutch, so almost certainly the same, which means its a pretty straight forward swap and will reduce your revs in top gear by approx 400 rpm

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will try that IWWT. Thanks.

Can you elaborate on the specs your refering to and or where I may be able to find them?

Aloha

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thanks Dakota, that's what I meant by I can see Turbo clutch sales on Ebay rising. I love your quote. By the the way how is the Gov enjoying his new digs anyway. I just can't see him being guilty of anything. He has such a neat executive style haircut!

Oh well, still awaiting that one answer to pop forth from the tonage

It's off topic but, a thought just sparked thinking about Blagojevich and Political corruption. Has anyone seen the new commercial about Corn Sugar AKA High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's obvious people are on to the fact that it's poison like a lot of stuff in our food. So, Lobbyists have successfully gotten the name changed, presumably sales have taken a dive and it worked with DDT. It makes your joints lock up, limiting range of motion and creating agonizing pain. I know first hand because it happened to me 2 years ago. Anyway in the commercial they state that "Corn Syrup and Sugar are basically they same thing" and I say so is a Woman and a Transvestite.

Aloha

We'd all be better off if we stayed away from things that are overly processed- sugars, etc too..... mmmm.... but thinking about sugar talking to someone from Hawaii.... makes me think about coffee.... and I hear you guys have some really good coffee
I don't get distracted, really.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have some great coffee

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No more sugar cane but, still lots of pineapples and 100% Kona Coffee.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
pineapples- yum! I made the mistake of having only pineapple for breakfast one day..... didn't quite agree with me, and I don't think I'll do it again after that! LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, Dakota, It just clicked. I'll focus.

Later

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got it Weld. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts