Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just successfully drove myself up to Alaska from the lower 48 and this year brought my CX500 with me on a trailer. As you'd imagine, the bike got a touch dusty over the 2,400 mile trip. Alaska currently has a strict 2 week quarantine so I figured one of the best ways to spend it would be cleaning up the bike. I'll also be doing an oil change and flushing my coolant. But thanks to the abundance of information on this forum, I think I've got that covered.

So I'm reaching out to the community in hopes of getting some tips on what tools/products/methods work best for getting a bike looking sharp. My goal is to:
  • take steel wool (00#) to some rusty spots
  • get rid of some scratches (and two chips if possible) on my tank
  • polish up the chrome
  • clean up the exterior of the engine
  • touch up the Honda emblem on the front of the bike
  • stitch up holes in the seat the previous owner duct taped
  • maybe get new decals once everything is shiny
So I'm wondering what products work best for these tasks. I've read that Meguiars is good. Should I get "Ultimate Compound" to use on the scratches and then their "Ultimate Polish" to finish it off? What about a metal polish for the engine and chrome? Any suggestions? Should I buy one of those polish kits for a drill that are out there?

Regarding the Honda emblem, I think that using some black paint and a small brush would give me the outcome I'm looking for. I've read that cutting out the letters and then spray painting works, but I have more faith in my ability to dab on paint than cut out letters. Anybody know a good, small size black paint that would work well for this?

The only cosmetic work I've ever done on a vehicle was to spray an anti-rust paint over a big hole in my old ford ranger. So any help people can provide is appreciated and, of course, if anyone has additional suggestions for some simple bike tasks, I'm very much open to hear them. As I've put in my other posts, I'm not mechanically inclined but I am working on getting better one small project at a time.

tank scratches.jpg
emblem.jpg

p.s. Mods (or anyone), I've resized the pics so they shouldn't take up too much bandwidth for folks. But if I need to make them smaller, please let me know and I'll be happy to do so.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I think my rack is from the same source. That wing nut looks familiar. I'm not sure if it's Hondaline or aftermarket.
On an '81, your engine is probably painted, so a clean and respray of the block will probably give the best results.
But, that's a lot of work, so start with the valve covers. They're clear coated, so you need to remove that, along with the oxidation. Extra fine steel wool will do a good job of that, and leave a decent shine. A brass wheel in a dremel will be faster. You'll burn through a lot of those, so buy in quantities.
You can either leave the aluminum raw and polish it occasionally, or respray it with clear.

Randall

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll read up on some of this and figure out the best way to approach it. A clean and respray would be nice but that's gonna be a winter task for sure. Just tried to order the steel wool from Amazon Prime and discovered that anything I get is supposed to take 29 days to arrive. So... probably not gonna be going that route. Maybe I can ask a friend to pick up some supplies at the hardware store. I've already got a dremel, but no brass wheels.

Any thoughts on what to use for the tank scratches?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I've used Race-Glaze on oxydized clearcoat on the tank. It's kind of a combination buffing compound and sealer. It might do OK on the scratches if they aren't into the color. Otherwise, a color-matched wax, maybe?

Randall

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good topic for me! Paul sold me a pillion seat. The tailpiece is in great shape. The gold decal stripe is lifting at the edges. Is there a solvent, acetone or anything else I can use to make the edges lay flat? If I can make it lay, then I could put a clear coat over it. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NAPA didn't have any Race-Glaze so I still need something for the tank. But I did pick up some Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream. As I was walking out, the guy said (right before turning back to a customer) "just don't use it on chrome that looks like a mirror." I have no idea what he means. The stuff says that it's for "Chrome, Aluminum, and Mag Wheels" so I assume that it will be fine.

edited to add a link to the polish:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts