Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,288 Posts
It's pretty uncommon for that to happen without blowing a fuse (unless someone replaced a fuse with a higher value) but it does occasionally happen.

·
Registered
GL650
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks to Sidecar Bob for reminding me that the obvious is often the most easily overlooked. Added about 8 oz of coolant to the radiator, today's 30 miles or so were beautiful and uneventful (unless you count riding two-up as an event, which it is for me!), the bike performed beautifully, gauge within normal range, fan came on several times. The engine sounded like it did about 10,000 miles ago when I got it - a little valve tapping but the valve clearances are good, also some exhaust leakage that I still haven't addressed - which also sounds like valve noise - but none of that rumbly cam chain noise that started this whole adventure.

I now have some gaskets left over from various sources because I intentionally or unintentionally ordered extras. I'll post them on the buying and selling forum.

So hopefully I can make up for lost time and have an awesome late riding season. Likely Michigan, but maybe WV for my "big ride". I'm not even gonna mention "that upcoming event" that I always seem to jinx by trying to plan on it, but hell, who knows?

Thanks again to all forum members for your kind help. Being able to ride and keep my bike on the road means a lot to me and I couldn't do it without you.

·
Super Moderator
19,288 Posts
I'd hang onto the gaskets. They don't take up a lot of room, they don't go bad and you never know when you will need them on a bike this old.

·
Registered
GL650
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's pretty uncommon for that to happen without blowing a fuse (unless someone replaced a fuse with a higher value) but it does occasionally happen.
It was the kill switch circuit wire between the switch and the headlight area. I wrote a post about the roadside repair. Those wires were burnt.

·
Registered
GL650
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'd hang onto the gaskets. They don't take up a lot of room, they don't go bad and you never know when you will need them on a bike this old.
I need the money more than I need the gaskets, and someone will get a good deal.

Plus, I don't even want to think about opening up this engine again. If I screwed it up a second time, I will admit defeat and end my motorcycling career, which so far has been largely about the satisfaction of successful wrenching.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I always thought gaskets have a shelf life....??
Like std orings...?
Viton is 20 years..but i know people who bought crumbly, unusable NOS gaskets for british bikes.. admittedley 50 years old..lol..

·
Super Moderator
19,288 Posts
I've never heard of gaskets going bad before. I have some hanging on the wall in the plastic wrappers they came in and they seem OK. I've used the odd one that I've had for a decade or so with no problems.

I suspect that the silica gel might actually cause problems rather than prevent them if the issue is the paper drying out.

What brand were the eBay gaskets? Did they fall apart because they were old or because they weren't made of good materials in the first place? Or maybe because they were bent during shipping?

And as I typed that last I thought about how gasket paper comes in a roll and seems to last forever so if factory made gaskets have a limited lifespan that could be another argument in favour of cutting your own.

·
Registered
GL650
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This is kind of a wind-up post for this thread.

The bike is running as good as ever.
Rode 500+ miles this weekend. About 4 oz. oil consumed, which is equal to or better than my previous CX/GL bikes.
Checked compression (cold) today, L - 171 psi, R - 163 psi.
Spark plugs look like new.
Hope I'm done wrenching on this bike forever.

Kind of thinking about a project CB550 or CB650 SOHC.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts