Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gl500i and I wanted to change the front fork oil. Lot of fooling around removing the air line etc. Has anyone ever drill & tapped a hole in the left cap?. Then you could remove the air inlet and the plug on the left fork and put the oil in with a large needle (the type they use on horses)That would be much easier.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
I think it was Abes who did similar. It involved bleeding off all the air and removing the crossover tube. Then the forks were drained from the bolt at the bottom. When filling he used a large syringe and some kind of tip to slowly refill the tubes.

I'll go see if I can find the info.

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was Abes who did similar. It involved bleeding off all the air and removing the crossover tube. Then the forks were drained from the bolt at the bottom. When filling he used a large syringe and some kind of tip to slowly refill the tubes.

I'll go see if I can find the info.

I had a different train of thought. IF you remove the left hand fork filling tube on top of the left hand fork, drill and tap it and put a screw in the hole you tapped. Put everything back together. The next time you want to change oil, all you have to do is remove the air filler on the right fork top and the screw you put on the left hand fork. Put the right amount in each side. You do not have to remove the cross over tube, unscrew the filler caps etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Only thing you would need is to teflon tape the screw or get an o-ring to seal it.

Sounds like a pretty simple option.

But then honestly, how often is it that you need to change fork oil. I mean once the seals are replaced..... There's really no need to fill them again till they start leaking correct

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can't say I remember oil ever breaking down in forks. Just leaking out when the seals

go or people replacing the oil with a little better weight oil or placing spacers in

the forks to compress the springs a tiny bit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, change it. Every time that I have done it, the old oil looked very dirty.

I think everyone would change the fork oil more often, IF it was made easier. I had to make a tool so I could get the cap back on the left side, to many item in the way to push and turn at the same time. I did not want to cross thread the cap/bolt/nut/plug or what ever it is called. The next time I change fork oil, it will have a flat head screw so I never have to remove the cross over air hose again.

Ev.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree that doing the forks is one of the more time consuming maintenance chores, but what a difference it makes - especially the first time you do it and try the 20 weight fork oil. BTW, the last time I did mine I used Harley's Heavy Duty fork oil (20 weight) because it comes in one pint containers and costs around $6.00. The Belray was available, but it was $15.00 for a quart where I went. That was the first time anything Harley was cheaper!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just use the bigass socket trick. Makes it much easier to put on. Don't remeber the size but I fought for at least 40 mins and gave up. Got a big 1/2 socket and it took 5 seconds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts