Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am putting 14" ape hangers on my bike later this week but I remember reading on the old forum that you can put a set of ape's on and keep the OEM cables without changing them, But I just need to know if putting 14" on will I be ok? Thanks guys for your help!!!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think the stock rise is something like 6-8 inches. I'd borrow some bicyle bars to mock it up before investing... Just guessing, but I think 14" bars would require a longer brake line at least.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I want that rear fender, that CX is bitchen!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I guess I have finally found something I must be too old to understand! Why would anyone do something like that yellow (motorcycle?)? It has got to be uncomfortable to ride, hard to control, not to mention very expensive! In my much younger years I rode a Trimuph 500 twin with 14" risers and found after a few months I didn't really like them, have never messed much with the stock bars since. I really don't want attention that badly!

Gene

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Dont try these........

i have always called them jesus bars.....because you have your arms up to praise jesus or when you crash your going to say oh jesus this is going to hurt.......

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Biker dad

theres no way you'll be able to use stock cables with those bars

The brake line and the electrical cables will need to be lengthened too.

I really hope that yellow bike is a photoshop job......

·
Registered
63 Posts
I measured my stock custom ones as being about 7" and am contemplating put 10" on mine I think the cables will just about take that but definately no more.

·
Registered
458 Posts
....not to mention the exhaust pipes aimed at pedestrians heads.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is what it will look like.
I ordered a set of 6" over cables off of That ebay a while back for my beach bars. They seemed pretty reasonable and they look like they'll fit. still have to wire in lengths of splices of wire for electronics.

Question on your seat, is that the original pan you used, just cut down? I was thinking of that more level profile for mine as i prefer to move around a bit to stretch my legs.

Nice looking ride, good work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts