Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1979 CX500C
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Finger Bumper Nail Bicycle part

Just got done mounting the engine and it went as silky smooth as everything else I've tried to fix in this project. 2 things:

I found that I didn't line up the driveshaft and its stuck right on the outside. I thought there was a way to push it back but I can't seem to move it, I can sort of spin the tire. Any suggestions besides take the engine back off?

Looking through the forums it seems like it's usually the opposite issue for people, so I apologize if this has already been covered.

My other casualty was the cap for my left spark plug came off. The wire was flush with the sleeve when it pulled out, that means I gotta replace the wire, right? I tried sticking it back on for now, gonna see if it sparks after I get a battery on it, but any guides for getting them connected would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1979 CX500C
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I managed to connect the drive shaft bolt so I think I'm all set with my primary concern! Thank you everyone for the support in confidence in my wiggling to get that done.

Unfortunately however:
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

2 step forwards and one step back. Just snapped one of these studs. I would like to formally disclose now that I'm really not that smart, I make bad decisions, this is the third righty loosy I'll have to have fixed in this build and I have a machine shop. Might still try to start it first though.

3 new concerns:
1) Clutch seems to be sticking (checked forum, will try steps after carbs)

2) Can't shift to neutral

3) Mounting rear break pedal seems to be trickt

(will separate into separate posts if I can't find info after carb install, just posting related operation details)

Other than that, gonna forget about her till next weekend.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
1979 CX500C
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A 6 mm stud roller will take that stud out easily and quickly.

What issues are you having fitting the brake pedal ...... hooking up the spring?
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance -Performance Tool Stud Extractor (Store page)

Something like this? can I use a breaker bar instead of an impact to loosen?

When Installing the brake, the shaft it slides onto retracts back, I got around this by using a small screwdriver to hold the shaft from the back, then wiggled it through the bolt hole to line it up. After doing this however I noticed the brake pedal compresses too far.

It looks as though I'll need to keep the shaft turned down while keeping it from sliding back while I slide the brake pedal back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts