Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone I am very new to these forums and I hope I am posting in the right section.

I am about to purchase a 1979 Honda Cx500 Custom from one of my very close friend's family friend. It will be my first ever bike as well. The bike runs mechanically fine as the guy's son used to ride it. Unfortunately the guy went down on his Harley two weeks ago, so him and his son are giving up riding for their wives. He was restoring it with less rusted original cx500 pieces and had the carbs rebuilt. He is willing to sell the 14,000+ miles bike to me for $700, however there are two current issues with the bike:

1. Speedometer does not work. My friend's dad who is very mechanically knowledgeable in cars and bikes took out the speedometer cable and said all it needs is a new cable.

2. There is a coolant leak in the rear of the engine. My dad's friend and the guy selling the bike said it is because of the seal and just needs a new O-ring. After googling the issue, that is what most people said too.

This will be my first bike that I will most likely ride as is for one or two summers because I will not a place to work on it. I plan on making the guy fix the speedometer sense it should be an easy fix, and address the leak later. Should I buy this bike? Pics are of the bike and maintenance logs. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Text Font Line Number
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Vehicle

Again sorry if I am posting in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have your mechanics look over and ride the bike.....sounds like a great deal if that's all that's wrong!! I would buy it if that's all the issues!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much everyone for the responses. I am getting 50/50 responses on what to do. But thank you again for spreading the knowledge. I want to learn as much as I can about before I make a decision.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
because I will not a place to work on it
Brucs the above statement is the reason for my cautious approach. Do you own any metric tools. What is your comfort level working on a 30+ year old bike. Space can be an issue. Plunking a 150 lbs engine on the kitchen counter can lead to home life issues if married or involved. My wife would have my arse if I tried that. Only you can make this call. There is a lot of help here in the aftermath!

·
Registered
562 Posts
If the coolant is leaking where the tube connects to the water pump, its just an o-ring; easy fix.
If it is coming from the weep hole under the water pump, its the mech seal where the camshaft passes through...not so easy fix. But its not beyond the average home mechanic's ability.
You can certainly keep riding with either type of leak, but not indefinitely. It will most likely not fix itself, lol
If its the mech seal, you could eventually have coolant forcing its way past the camshaft oil seal, which would be a very bad thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts