1982 cx500tc turbo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a replacement pulse generator for the CX500T
read the old tread and just looking for confirmation on the part number

Is it standard motor product part number LX579
My barn find need one for the engine speed sensor code 09
I"m thinking that its a good time to change both sensors
Just received my new Reman ECU from David Silver Spares and now the fuel pump cycles when the Ignition is turned on and the bike runs
and the active code 9 is on
TLD :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
There are quite a few threads on this topic. Your understanding is correct about part number. eBay shows them from $12 to $163, so watch the price from your parts source.

note, if you find a bad sensor, quite likely you will have a lot of corrosion you will need to clean up. Likely going to need to replace the mechanical seal. The seal failure. Let’s coolant into the compartment and is usually the root cause failure With a sensor being secondary

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Thanks for the confirmation of the part

Yes my plan is to do it all when its apart
both mags pickup and seal and water pump seal
I have to pull the bike apart any way
I'm doing a full restoration on the bike
I'm making a list of parts and having things lined up before I start

TLD

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is not meant to scare you, but be carful around the camshaft. It is cast, so dont put side force on it your you may break it like others have done. If something is stuck, go slow, pull straight. Maybe ask questions and others can give you ideas how to proceed.

Just want to give you a heads up as it is a real bummer when a camshaft is snapped. Very hard to find a replacement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you do happen to snap off the cam shaft, I have a spare one I'm looking to sell.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you do happen to snap off the cam shaft, I need one ( seriously )

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Boy's
I'm going to be extra careful LMAO
It's not my first Rodeo
I have build a lot of Engine"s in my time
How ever I'm going to look at a new project bike
CX500 1981

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you do happen to snap off the cam shaft, I need one ( seriously )
Pim
To clarify as it might not be totally clear. You are looking for a SNAPPED CAMSHAFT or a GOOD CAMSHAFT? I am thinking you are looking for a SNAPPED CAMSHAFT to investigate how to repair or do some sort of modification, would this be correct? You might also want to clarify if you want a 650 or a 500 camshaft.

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
The part of the cam shaft that snaps is a pressed on piece. I got as far as making a drawing of this with the intent of getting a batch made. However my machining source let me down unfortunately and it didnt happen. But I do still have the drawing and a spare cam shaft.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Pim
To clarify as it might not be totally clear. You are looking for a SNAPPED CAMSHAFT or a GOOD CAMSHAFT? I am thinking you are looking for a SNAPPED CAMSHAFT to investigate how to repair or do some sort of modification, would this be correct? You might also want to clarify if you want a 650 or a 500 camshaft.
Hello John,
I am working on a all electric cooling pump system :

So I need a Turbo Camshaft without the coolant impeller piece and that is exactly the piece that normally breaks off ;)
At this moment I am not picky so a 500 or 650 camshaft will do .......

Reactions: dutchturbo

·
Registered
727 Posts
How about a CX500C or D camshaft?
Will one of those work?
Yes, I already "chopped" a CX500 Eurosport Camshaft, but I still prefer to use a Turbo Camshaft with the appropriate valve lift profiles

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi pim
Now I have to ask.Whats the deal on the electric water pump
We use a electric coolant pump on the Drag cars and the only reason we do that is to cool the engine after we return to the pit

TLD

·
Registered
727 Posts
Now I have to ask.Whats the deal on the electric water pump
Lets say I am trying to reduce the power losses inside the engine as much as possible and this is not because of environmental issues ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts