Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Post a pic of exactly what you need. I probably have some for shipping cost.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,282 Posts
And if there was that much moisture in the oil and you traced it to the water pump mechanical seal it might be a good idea to make sure the weep hole isn't blocked

And in case you have any questions about why it needs to be kept clear

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom, 1981 GL500 SilverWing
124 Posts
Can the weep hole be "cleaned out" without removing ANYTHING from the engine ?... I have to admit that, in seven months of looking for it, I haven't found it yet !... Can it be "cleaned out" by simply blowing compressed air up into it ?... It seems to me that it would have to be pretty bad-assed plugged in order for the "seal" to fail (in competition with a mere hole)... ?

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Depends on how badly the weep hole is plugged. Can be done with the engine in situ, Try using something like WD40 with a straw. insert straw into the weep hole and spray. This should wash debris out of the weep hole. Using compressed air may blow debris into the space between the mechanical seal and the oil seal.

·
Super Moderator
24,173 Posts
WD40 attacks rubber. The mech seal has a rubber bellows that would receive a coating. This will cause rubber deterioration and potentially the mother of all mech seal leaks in the future if the bellows ruptures. This is a leak that even a clear weep hole won't deal with due to sheer volume.

The straw is good though.

Some info here.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Mark/81, I’ve been away for a few days riding. I sent you a PM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts