Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story guys:

Both of my helmets are DOT approved there is no question of that. I purchased this helmet, a HJC CL R1 (link to website: http://www.hjchelmets.com ), brand new from Royal Distributing in Guelph, Ontario at the beginning of this riding season as my old helmet, which I was also carrying on my helmet holder, was getting old and I felt I needed a newer better performing helmet.

When I was pulled over the officer immediately got out and told me the reason I was pulled over was that he noticed that I had a "DOT" approved helmet in my helmet holder but did not think I was wearing a "DOT" approved helmet on my head. (A very strange accusation in my opinion, why would I purposely endanger the safety of my head?) I reassured the officer that in fact my new helmet was a "DOT" approved helmet and showed him the DOT symbol on the back of the helmet. Granted I will say this, the helmet is black but has a white striping design on the helmet (refer to image attached) which I do agree with the officer is hard to visually recognize at a distance further than 2-3 feet away because the white striping on the helmet hides the DOT symbol.

The officer also told me that he was in an important meeting recently on motorcycle safety and that this was a concern brought up during the meeting; a tactic of carrying a DOT approved helmet on the helmet holder but not wearing a DOT approved helmet on the riders head, a concept I have trouble believing especially considering both helmets are full-face helmets. I care about safety, when I ride and I wear "all the gear all the time" and was wearing my heavily armoured riding jacket, my riding pants, and riding gloves.

After I reassured the officer that indeed both helmets were DOT approved and I visually proved that fact to the officer he asked if he could still take my helmet back to his car for a closer inspection and upon which time asked routinely for my license, insurance, and registration.

He reassured me saying that if the helmet "checks out" that I have nothing to worry about. I agreed that he could take my helmet to inspect further because not allowing him to inspect the helmet further would be pointless and just make me look guilty when in fact I was not guilty and knew that this helmet was DOT approved. I was a little disappointed that he had to take my helmet and make me wait out in the cold (temperature dropping rapidly, was about 5 degrees celcius) without my gloves/helmet on and the wind increasing in speed making riding conditions worse for me to return to the north end of Waterloo.

I did not understand what more he could do other than research the helmet online to see the listing from the manufacturer showing the helmet is in fact DOT approved.

He took a lot longer than I thought he would need to and he actually scared me at one point because while he was fumbling around with his laptop, my helmet, all while talking on his phone which resulted in him accidentally pushing my helmet into his steering wheel horn and it was quite loud and made me jump. This occurred after I had already been sitting on my bike for probably 15 minutes at this point. When he finally came back to me with my information and my helmet 10 minutes after the horn incident he stated that he still does not know if this is in fact a DOT approved helmet and then he just looked at me almost as if he was waiting for me to say something and I did not know what to say or what he wanted me to say. He then eventually told me that since he can't tell if this is in fact a real DOT approved helmet that I should look into it and find out because he can't tell if it is. So after all that time, over 30 minutes total freezing on my bike, his investigation never lead to a true cut answer of whether my helmet was a DOT approved helmet even though it was properly labelled on the helmet and is clearly listed on the HJC website as a DOT approved helmet.

It took me 2 minutes when I got home to type into Google "HJC CL R1" and see the complete specs listing of said helmet from the company.

This is so stupid guys, if they are going to make special meetings and special incentives to target riders that they think are riding with unsafe equipment than at least train and give the resources to these people out in the field to do their job properly.

The thing that makes me the most angry is that he never once apologized saying sorry for wasting your time, making you freeze, or accepting he was wrong. He just made it seem like I was still in the wrong and it is very likely that I will get pulled over again because another officer does not think my helmet is DOT approved.

What a joke. As if someone in there right mind would intentionally wear a full face helmet that was not DOT approved and potentially not as safe as a real DOT approved helmet, um, duh!

Oh well, live and learn. I'll be expecting this next time, I'll just save a page on my iphone that links right to my model of helmet to show the retard pulling me over my helmet is legit.

I sent in a formal complaint to Waterloo Regional Police regarding this matter of lack of training and resources regarding helmets and that they can't expect to "crack down" or make a special meeting about something that clearly their officers in the field do not have enough experience handling and no resources to be able to make a quick determination regarding safety of a helmet.

Just a warning to everyone to watch out for this.

End Rant -

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Blanket "probable cause" here. It's open season on motorcycles, they can evidently pull you over to "check your papers (snap heels)."

Make sure your ducks are all in a row if you ride up that way would be the moral of the story.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently Cobram.

I rode almost 5000 km last season, lots of riding locally in my city and never had a problem.

Within the first 1000 km this season I get pulled over for something retarded...

Thankfully all paperwork and license was in order. (it always is)

What makes me the most angry is the fact it was no big deal and this is a normal thing and no apology for making me suffer. Just generally wanted to make me feel bad.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
jeez,i feel for you.what a prat.im not sure i could take that,not well anyway.might pay,in view of the idiot cops you seem to have in your neck of the woods,print the page from the website,and put it with your documents.

while all this was panning out,there probably was 3 robberies,10 speeders,4 undue care and attention.......makes my blood boil.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly Bandit, that's exactly how I felt, I was just like wow think of all actual traffic violations he could be enforcing!

Luckily I wasn't charged, he probably knew it was pointless because I was right even though he flat out said he doesn't believe me even though the DOT is right on the helmet.

I wish he would have given me the ticket just so I could of embarassed him in court. All of this could have been avoided if he just had the proper training and resources to validate I was correct, apologize to me, and send me on my way in a timely manner. Not 30 minutes waiting road side freezing with no hat or helmet to keep my head warm only to come to an undecided conclusion.

ARGH! RAGE!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Good to know. From what I understand a no helmet law is in the works here in Michigan, so it won't matter here anymore. Personally I will continue to wear my helmet, I like my brain where it is.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's wrong to enforce someone to wear a seat belt while driving but allow helmets to be worn while riding motorcycles to be optional.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Do they make NON DOT helmets that aren't either

A) Obviously a childrens' helmet

or

Obviously a sports helmet (bicycle riding included)?

Any sort of motorcycle looking helmet I've ever looked at has been DOT

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
im in charge...control control control control

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, That certainly does look like a legit helmet! Although on that website it is classified as a bike helmet, not a motorcycle helmet.

Hopefully no parent would allow them to use that helmet for anything but riding their dirt bike around the yard. But not at high speeds on public roads.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
That is so bloody stupid.

What an utter waste of time !

I'd go radio rentals if they did that to me.

Did you get the officers number or some means to ID him?

I'd write to the local police chief and news paper and complain like hell

and tell em you take your safety seriously and spend good money to ride ATGATT

so being forced to spend half an hour standing in the freezing cold

because some numpty with a badge wants to exercise his incompetence is out of order.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed Reg.

Depending on the response I get to the complaint I sent to Waterloo Regional Police I may take my story to the newspaper.

It's wrong for us to be targeted, especially for something he clearly didn't know enough about.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Agreed Reg.

Depending on the response I get to the complaint I sent to Waterloo Regional Police I may take my story to the newspaper.

It's wrong for us to be targeted, especially for something he clearly didn't know enough about.
this so much remineds me of a recent thread......Allan?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.