Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! New owner here but a long time rider. Have always liked the CX series of bikes - but never had one until now... Lucky enough to find an '83 time capsule that I really could not refuse. It's a GL650 Standard (Nimbus Gray) w/only a little over 7000 original miles - and looks it... Very proud indeed. Took me a little while to get the title clear on it - but all is good now. The fellow was selling for his father in law and did not know much about it otherwise.

I'm not sure if this is a good spot to ask - but I am wondering if someone knows whether the electric fans on the '83 are only one-speed fans or multi-speed? Trying to get used to some of the sounds I'm hearing coming from below. I am also wondering if one can normally expect the clutch cover to be quite hot after a long ride? Clutch seems to work fine - but I noticed the cover is quite hot to the touch after a good run..

Thanks very much for any guidance or insight. Looking forward to being in the forum.

-k

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Fan is single speed, controlled by a temp switch screwed into the radiator. Doesn't come on unless the temp gauge is quite high, may more than 3/4 scale. Typically doesn't run often. Never checked to see if the clutch cover is hot, but it is part of the engine so it's going to be somewhat hot. I don't think I'd be concerned about it if it's running/clutching okay.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am having trouble believing in this "time capsule" I too humbly request pics

·
Registered
24,445 Posts
the fan wont come on till the gauge is almost 7/8

you should make sure the gauge is working and the fan works

for a bike that has sat as much as yours has i would put a new thermostat in it as they can stick and then cause a blown head gasket

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
A broken CX thermostat on the right side of the picture
Plant

Under the rust is a sitting another thermostat (From our John Deere Lanz 310)
Auto part
The same damage, as You can see :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all who responded! I will post some pics of the bike as soon as I can... Not sure at this point the correct way to do that... but I will figure it out. I may have some additional technical or mechanical issues that I'll seek some comment on going forward as I bring the bike back to full service. Accordingly, I'll post those on the technical support part of the forum. Just wanted to introduce and thank you for being here... Looks like from the responses we are well and far apart geographically. Are there ever any get togethers or wing-dings coordinated for CX/GL owners...?

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Welcome aboard, motokev. I have a link to some tips on photo posting below, as well as to the WIKI, a collaborative effort of many members here. It is chock full of great information, and has factory service manuals you can download free.

While not any formal forum sponsored events/gatherings, there are plenty of members who gather up and do rides and the like. You'll see posts about them from time to time.

Please take a few moments to edit your profile to include your location, and put the bike details in your signature line. This helps us keep track of what you have as the needs arise.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
496 Posts
They do have get together a look on the ride section. And welcome I missed that the first post I made...

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
They do have get together a look on the ride section. And welcome I missed that the first post I made...

Yes, in the Traveling section.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
If you check out the WIKI site it has a lot of great information. A quick check you can start with is to make sure the 7V regulator is working right, so you know the gauge reading is OK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts