Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
First off I want to thank you all for all your knowledge and posts on here it has made my project go so much smoother ESPECIALLY the infamous Murray. Secondly I will be trying to keep you guys up to date on my build and my many hiccups I have already encountered along the way.
So here are the details

Name-Project SilverHawk
Model-1981 Honda GL500
Mileage-13xxx
Price- paid 1050 for her with a new battery
Needed- nothing but tires and an oil change when I got her she was well maintained by previous owner.
Apparently the previous owner backed into her in the driveway and lightly knocked her over. A few scratches here and there but no crazy damage. Tank was perfect besides a tiny ding. Crash bars were bent and turn signals were scratched up. (Found out later left side cover was split) all in all most were easy fixes and things I planned on altering later on down the line.
Hopefully the attached files worked. Photos from the day I bought her
image.jpeg

I will be updating this post with all my modifications an hiccups to come. Have already tinkered with her so be prepared for an onslaught of photos and descriptions. Thanks to all for future input and criticism. Ride safe friends.

Also. That's not me in the photo haha. That's the previous owner. It's just the first photo I have of my sweet sweet baby.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Good Luck and Have fun!

Reactions: Llamasloth007

·
Registered
481 Posts
what a deal. What are you planning on doing with her?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok guys here's an update.
I bought and installed murrays carbs (like night and day)
installed the oil filter mod and upgraded oil filter (fresh oil),
brass rod mod for the spark plug caps. New plugs NGK.
New heavy duty clutch springs.
Had to replace the front brake lever and assembly (was leaking onto my gas tank and eating away the paint).
New bike master headlight with the halo ring around it.
Bar end cafe racer mirror
Woodgate clip on handlebars
About to install Michelin commander 2s this weekend and new EBC brakes all around.
Stole the chrome fender off my 83 Honda shadow. (Sold recently) it bolted right on.
Lowered where my forks mount on my fork tubes. Nothing excessive but I like the way the stance is now with the handlebars. Probably about an inch to an inch and a half lower.

New speedometer and new tach by dime city cycles. Need to get a temp gauge (open to suggestions)
Relocated the fuse box and ignition.
Ran all the wires under the tank.
HBOX and muffler removal and installed EMGO slash cut shortys. Custom fabricated mounting brackets for them.

Things I want to get rid of but will wait till winter. The MASSIVE rear turn signals. Going to order a tuffside seat and relocate the battery under the back of it and chop the lower part of the frame out so the seat is hovering. Install a frame hoop and I already have the LED rear light and blinkers ready.
Let me know what you guys think so far.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you download the FSM yet?
Yes I did but here's a few things I encountered along the way that might help others out.

Clutch springs. Manual says something around like 43-49 lbs/ 0.93in. That is NOT foot lbs of torque!! I learned that the hard way! Broke all 4 heads off my bolts. The correct should be 8-9 FOOT LBS OF TORQUE!

When removing the HBOX keep the muffler clamps off of it. You can reuse them to hold on the new mufflers you install (if they aren't weld on ones) because Hose Clamps DONT work! The sparks flying from my bike the other night can testify from that! At least I had the muffler hanger mounts on and fabricated up other wise that would have been money wasted haha

When installing an aftermarket speedo/tach. You must use a significant amount of vibration reduction otherwise the speedo will not work right! Also learned the hard way but the guys at dime city cycles shipped me out a new one no charge. Mine ended up being off my 15mph because the way I mounted it wasn't enough of a rubber bushing. I fixed that with the new one.

Will update more once I encounter new problems and hiccups along the way. Other than that. Thanks guys I'm loving my bike. Oh and here is the inspiration behind my build

Project SilverHawk

image.png

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Time for an update!
Installed the EBC drum brake pads and disc brake pads up front. Wasn't too bad to do.
Installed the Michelin commander 2 tires front and back. Had a friend swap the rubber. Needless to say I won't do that again. After paying him do to it. My rear tire was backwards. Had to get the direction swapped at a shop. And now since he didn't balance my front tire I have a wobble. So gotta take that back off get it balanced and check the wheel bearings.
Bought and installed a new brake master cyclinder. Was working great until my friend hopped on the back of the bike and knocked it over. ;(
Broke the brake off and dented the tank. Had to drive her home with only the rear brakes.
Ordered a cheapo brake and clutch set from Amazon. And needless to say I'm replacing both. Clutch is sloppy and brake leaks. Ugh. Live and learn. But the snow is coming closer and closer and that means the big modifications come this winter. Be on the lookout for this thread. When I start working on her I'll be updating pics. Thanks for looking guys. And all the knowledge.

Update 1/26/17.
I ended up using ceramic beads to balance the front tire. I still get a wobble on the front end but it's not the wheelbearings I checked that. I may check the neck where the forks mount for proper torque specs and possibly redo the bearings. New brake master cylinder mounted. Cost more. Worth it. Looks like a nissmo retro one.
Had to install a hydraulic brake switch because the new brake master cylinder didn't come with anything to wire it too(oversite while being frustrated with wasted money on cheap ones). Glad I did cuz chopping off the back end I'll be getting rid of my rear brake light switch. Thinking I'll be changing the fuse box to an updated blade one. Thanks for looking.

Project SilverHawk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Been a few months. I ordered a cafe seat from tuffside and a tail hoop. Fantastic quality can't wait to mount it. Over the weekend I cut the back of the frame off. I went to a local steel supply store and got 3/4" OD round bar to have support inside my frame and new frame hoop I am going to be welding on over the weekend. I also got some flat stock I will be buildings a box under the seat for my electronics to be relocated and my battery will be under the hump ofmy cafe seat. Here are a few photos of what I have done so far. Any questions. Ask! Or input!
IMG_9288.JPG
This is where I cut everything at

IMG_9298.JPG
This is the stuff just set on. Not cut to length. I'm pretty excited how this is going to look. Plan on welding it all together this weekend or next. Then deciding on color. And possibly a rear mono shock change. If you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear it. It's nice finally having an idea come to life. Pretty excited about riding her this summer.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hey guys,
First off I want to thank you all for all your knowledge and posts on here it has made my project go so much smoother ESPECIALLY the infamous Murray. Secondly I will be trying to keep you guys up to date on my build and my many hiccups I have already encountered along the way.
So here are the details

Name-Project SilverHawk
Model-1981 Honda GL500
Mileage-13xxx
Price- paid 1050 for her with a new battery
Needed- nothing but tires and an oil change when I got her she was well maintained by previous owner.
Apparently the previous owner backed into her in the driveway and lightly knocked her over. A few scratches here and there but no crazy damage. Tank was perfect besides a tiny ding. Crash bars were bent and turn signals were scratched up. (Found out later left side cover was split) all in all most were easy fixes and things I planned on altering later on down the line.
Hopefully the attached files worked. Photos from the day I bought her
View attachment 35953

I will be updating this post with all my modifications an hiccups to come. Have already tinkered with her so be prepared for an onslaught of photos and descriptions. Thanks to all for future input and criticism. Ride safe friends.

Also. That's not me in the photo haha. That's the previous owner. It's just the first photo I have of my sweet sweet baby.
So that's the side you milk one from, I have been doing it from the wrong side.Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's some closer shots of how I will be welding on the rear tailhoop. The tail hoop is 1" OD and the round bar is 3/4" OD. hope this helps anyone chopping the rear end off. Or modifying the frame. Etc
IMG_9314.JPG

IMG_9315.JPG

IMG_9316.JPG

IMG_9317.JPG

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Here's everything welded up! Had to order a ballistic battery and updated the rectifier/regulator for proper charging. She coming along so awesome.
IMG_9360.JPG
Back view of the tail hoop I got from tuffside seats with the seat I ordered. You can see where I used the rotozip to trim the edge of the gas tank mount so the seat will mount flush on the frame. I also trimmed the tabs on the side of the gas tank where the side covers previously attached.
IMG_9357.JPG
Side view
IMG_9359.JPG
Side view seat set on and not mounted. Battery I bought 8 months ago specifically for this was massive and won't work.
IMG_9358.JPG
Back view. Again seat not mounted. Had to wait for the new battery to come in.
IMG_9378.JPG
New battery compared to old. Fits exactly where I want it (under the hump in the seat) so excited to get it mounted and the rectifier installed so I can paint.

Let me know if you guys have any input! It would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
What support will be used for the seat?
Without any bracing you will have it collapsing onto the wheel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What support will be used for the seat?
Without any bracing you will have it collapsing onto the wheel.
No support. Many have done this to other gl500s with no issues or support. I already had the biggest guy I know sit on it (300lbs+) and it doesn't even budge. And it's only going to be a single seater. So only supporting the weight of the rider. The frame is 1in steel pipe with 1/4 in walls. It's not going anywhere. (Keep in mind this was a gl500 not a cx500 completely different frames)

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
those others are not great either and following someone who also does not understand engineering or leverage will only get you hurt

yours is longer and places even more stress on the welds and will fail quicker leverage is a [email protected]#$%

the last bike you show there by relic cyclces at least has side gussets and is safer

dont get hurt fix the thing so its safe

ask some people you must know a welder or someone with proper fabricating experience

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate your concern Murray. I had a welder tig weld everything and we Welded solid roundbar on the inside of the frame as well. It's not going anywhere. Yes my tail hoop is longer but I will only be sitting on the front 6-8 inches of the seat. The rest is just to hold the battery and electronics. The guy who did the fab builds roll cages and did not have a concern on the set up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once I get everything mounted I planned on giving her a good test run before paint to see if it needs supports. Then it wouldn't take more than a couple hours to mount a support or two. I just like giving you some guff Murray. But I will probably ride it how you see it if all feels right. You only live once. Why not be the guinnea pig sometimes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts