Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve done a lot and never managed to start a build post. Here ya go. If you have questions just ask.
Day 1
most current

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good. It looks very similar to the one I am building. What did you do to support the frame under the seat?
I had solid slugs welded in the inside when I welded the tail hoop on. You can jump on the back end and nothing moves but the suspension. Absolutely rock solid contrary to what everyone believes needs to be done. Been years no issues and I weighed almost 250 at one time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good. I like the monoshock on the GL 500. Part of me wishes I had started with one.
The dual shock CX looks classic and iconic but for what I wanted to do the mono shock was the way to go. I get people who try and buy it all the time. It’s not for sale obviously lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks great. Can I ask where the battery ended up? Also is that an R1 rear shock? Any ride height changes?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great. Can I ask where the battery ended up? Also is that an R1 rear shock? Any ride height changes?
I relocated everything from my front headlight to under the seat. I got a lithium ion battery. Can lay on its side and was small enough to fit under the rear hump. Also updated my charging system to compensate for battery. And I don’t remember off the top of my head where the shock is from. “YZF” comes to mind. And I just adjusted it and rode it until it felt right and nothing rubbed. It had a lot of adjustments. Any other questions just ask!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you! I had a feeling about the battery. May I ask about the seat? Whether its custom or can I order it somewhere?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! I had a feeling about the battery. May I ask about the seat? Whether its custom or can I order it somewhere?
I ordered it from tuffside you can find them online. It’s a stock style seat and the color combo worked because of the color of my stock tank. But you can get the leather and stitching any colors you want. I ordered their tail hoop as well. I went to my local metal shop and got some metal slugs that fit inside the hoop and frame and had a professional welder I know weld everything together. I’ve have over 300lbs on it and it didn’t even budge.

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing
6 Posts
What is your setup for the front fork? I'm guessing it's the stock air fork, any worthwhile upgrades to do to it? I looked at GSXR swaps but they're not for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is your setup for the front fork? I'm guessing it's the stock air fork, any worthwhile upgrades to do to it? I looked at GSXR swaps but they're not for me.

Thanks
Stock front forks. Clip on handlebars (you can really feeeeeel the vibrations lol) I lowered where neck grabs on to the forks by about 1.5”. Changed the stance just enough where I was happy with it. Looks cool. Isn’t comfortable to ride hahaha

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing
6 Posts
Back again with one more question. What ratio gauges did you use? I've seen people bickering whether or not it's 1:7, 1:4, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back again with one more question. What ratio gauges did you use? I've seen people bickering whether or not it's 1:7, 1:4, etc.
I don’t remember. But my needle bounces around on the speedometer. And I never fixed it. I just kinda guess on my speed haha

·
Registered
'81 GL500
2 Posts
Nice build... I'm just getting into my own 81 gl cafe project and really like what you've done. Hell I even have a tuffside seat at my house ready to help locate the new hoop. Any issues with clearances where the seat meets the tank? If I remember correctly the underside of that tuffside gets a bit of a narrow at the front.

I ordered it from tuffside you can find them online. It’s a stock style seat and the color combo worked because of the color of my stock tank. But you can get the leather and stitching any colors you want. I ordered their tail hoop as well. I went to my local metal shop and got some metal slugs that fit inside the hoop and frame and had a professional welder I know weld everything together. I’ve have over 300lbs on it and it didn’t even budge.
+1 for tuffside. Definitely worth the price tag.

I relocated everything from my front headlight to under the seat. I got a lithium ion battery. Can lay on its side and was small enough to fit under the rear hump. Also updated my charging system to compensate for battery. And I don’t remember off the top of my head where the shock is from. “YZF” comes to mind. And I just adjusted it and rode it until it felt right and nothing rubbed. It had a lot of adjustments. Any other questions just ask!
This is where I was planning on throwing the battery too, relieved to hear it fits under that hump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts