Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Getting around internet and decided that I gotta buy a Honda CX to modify it to be a cafe racer bike.

There are couple of things I love from the Honda CX:

1. Good looking engine block.

2. Drive shaft.

4. Stable and smooth, as it 's a Honda.

Finding a good old CX in Vietnam is not an easy job. I 've seen one or two GL/CX400 in Hochiminh City, never seen a single CX650.

Well, I gotta have one, CX650.

That why I decided to buy a CX650 from California and ship to Vietnam.

Paid the seller Feb2012. Physically got the bike in my hands Aug2012! Damn slow US boat. Hehe....

First, I have to say that the modification is not done by myself as I don't have a big enough workshop. A motorcycle workshop helps me to do the dirty works.

This would be not a everyday update thread, so, let's take it easy by starting with a Vietnamese coffee, I'll be right back:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now, let's see how 's the bike...

This photo was taken by the seller in Feb 2012:

Due to some unforeseen reasons, the bike was delivered to me in Ho Chi Minh City in July 2012. No problem. I am a super patient guy.

First met the bike, let's take a round view:

10xxx miles on the clock:

I have ridden the bike for about 5km and feel really great. After some months but just two three time press the Ignition button, it starts.

Really smooth and powerful bike. Much better than what I though.

During the waiting time to the boat to arrive, I have also bought a set of front forks from a US friend in Maryland:

Right, by air is faster by boat! The upside down front forks arrive much earlier than the bike.

I have also been walking around the forums to find the ideas for my project.

Found a very good thread in ADV forum with lots of very good advices from the member named Sparkymoto.

I have put up the bike and my ideas to see how the thing would look like afterward:

Options and options.... create... edit.... delete... create....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
One thing I see is you are thinking of replacing dual-shocks and springs on the rear with mono-shock? I don't think you will find a mono-shock with the spring rate you would need, mounted as you have diagrammed, unless you have it custom built since you are not giving the mono-shock much travel to work with.

But I look forward to reading your progress.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I am going to have a monoshock for this bike.

I am a sportbike rider for more than 10 years, almost of my bikes are with Monoshock. Just because of I love the beauty of the Monoshock, it's sexy.

So that why I have no concern getting my 99% modified CX to have Monoshock.

Thank for watching.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I wish you luck for what you want to do.

And be sure you fix the spark plug wires- the right wire is different from the left wire and the right wire should look like the left wire.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You may want to look at Honda's "ProLink" setup. It used compound levers to allow the shock to have more progressive spring and dampening response.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think this will be awesome, will definitely follow your build. By the way, I visited HCM-city in 2008 if I remember correctly, very cool city. Especially the traffic is really something. Organized chaos at its best.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I am going to have a monoshock for this bike.

I am a sportbike rider for more than 10 years, almost of my bikes are with Monoshock. Just because of I love the beauty of the Monoshock, it's sexy.

So that why I have no concern getting my 99% modified CX to have Monoshock.

Thank for watching.

I'm very interested in your monoshock design. You are definitely heading in the right direction with the horizontal plane of the shock in your drawing - hoping we can see more as you work through production - thanks for the post!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And be sure you fix the spark plug wires- the right wire is different from the left wire and the right wire should look like the left wire.
Is it? I never noticed that. However, I think those are difference from the ignition coils, not the wires. And I need the wires and plug cap only.

Hope that works.

You may want to look at Honda's "ProLink" setup. It used compound levers to allow the shock to have more progressive spring and dampening response.
Yeah. Got many great advices from an other forum member on this. His nick name is Sparkymoto. He did made a BMW with Monoshock and give me lots of recommendation.

This is is final product - also my inspiration:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think this will be awesome, will definitely follow your build. By the way, I visited HCM-city in 2008 if I remember correctly, very cool city. Especially the traffic is really something. Organized chaos at its best.
Thanks for following my progress.

You gotta visit VN more. Much different now.

I'm very interested in your monoshock design. You are definitely heading in the right direction with the horizontal plane of the shock in your drawing - hoping we can see more as you work through production - thanks for the post!

Thanks. As mentioned above, I thought I have to made my CX with Monoshock at the first place. And after consulting others, I believe it would be working well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't have one. Maybe I'll put one together some day. I'm installing a CX500 Standard tank on the bike. I thought about a BMW tank but anything with "BMW" on it costs too much. Even a POS tank.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, got it.

Talking about the gas tank, I will make a totally new one. Not Honda style. Hehe.

Now, let's see how the up-side-down front forks fit the bike:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I am still working on the Vietnamese coffee - I love that stuff! Watching with great interest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
how much it cost you to ship the bike over? got family from Ben Tre. I just got back about 3 months ago. take more photos of the bike !!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am still working on the Vietnamese coffee - I love that stuff! Watching with great interest.
Thank you. Hope this won't make you guys feel boring because of waiting too long...

how much it cost you to ship the bike over? got family from Ben Tre. I just got back about 3 months ago. take more photos of the bike !!

Hahah, that 's more than the bike itself.

So you must know Vietnam very well, right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A quick visit and discussion with the shop in the morning.

Weather was so good for anything related to motorcycle:

First time ever I can use my camera for some close-up look to my bike - who was born in 1983:

She has not so small heart:

Her name:

5 gears:

1 - 20 of 142 Posts