Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a little background info before we get into it, recently bought an original 1978 Honda cx500 from a family member. It sat for a about 4 years after he replaced the alternator, statter and did a carb rebuild. Going into it I knew it had an oil leak (bad seal on the back casing) and it wouldn't come out of first gear....

I immediately tore into it (following the clymer book) and discovered that all of the clutch plates were one glob of mass, there was milky oil like stuff sitting in the bottom or the block, also the water pump had old rust stains driving from the housing. I re built the entire clutch and measured each plate with a micrometer and rebuilt the tranny for good measure while I was right there. While the engine was still on the bench we could shift through all the gears flawlessly, We put the front case back on sealed it all up smoothly.

We decided to rebuild the water pump and saw that the mechanical seal was shot so we ordered a new oil seal and mechanical seal assembly. Surprise, the mech seal didn't fit. The much seal is too large for the hole it needs to fit in. We have been using Emory cloth to sand the inside of the hole by hand to be cautious and we ended up breaking the carbon (plastic like) washer when trying to jam it in. Any suggestions, pro tips, or hints? This is my first bike and I'm not adapt to the bike world's lingo. I'm 100% open to suggestions or any help you can offer. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cxphreak you are a saint! We had a sheet of Emery, ripping off little squares doing it by hand. I measured the fittings with my micrometer and we are looking at a little over a 1mm difference here. The links you posted were a HUGE help I can't wait to get the new parts in and give it a go. In the mean time we just turned an old black powder can into my new water reservoir. New K&n cold air intake are on the way and so is an antigravity tiny battery that we are hoping to mount under the seat. This leaves me with a decent sized cavity where the air box and battery used to be. I have a WWI ammo box that I'd like to mount or strap into that cavity as a road tool box. We are brainstorming ideas of how to fasten it in as we speak, I'm also open to all input from the cx community! Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
20,307 Posts
Careful measuring the new seal against the old. As they are a slight compression fit the old seal will measure slightly smaller than it did before Honda installed it. From measurements I've made of early and late rear covers the early covers seal orifice measured 27.8, the later 28.3 so be careful not too remove too much material. The new seal will drop in about 1/3 of its depth ready for pressing in when the size is right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a huge detail the 1/3rd tidbit you just shared. Great detail to know! Thanks for the info! Also we are turning an old police spotlight from the 40's into a headlight. On another note does a single gauge exist that monitors fuel, tachometer and spedo all in one analog gauge? Also engine temp would be awesome to have but that's already a pretty tall order. I'm just looking to condense the handlebars and entire aesthetic from the front view, while still getting the most info on my bikes performance possible

·
Super Moderator
20,307 Posts
Forget the fuel gauge. the tank has no sender anyway. A temperature gauge is the important one on these bikes.

Don't know of any single analog gauges with multiple functions though Acewell and others make digital {and feaux analog} gauges with multiple functions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts