Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The weekend started of well with me pulling the rad off to give it a good flushing, along with thrustin a hose into the top pipe that was still attacked to the thermo housing and watching all that gunky brown sludge running out of the metal pipe below.

Looking good i refitted the rad/pipes and started to refill very slowly......once about an inch above the fins i started the bike up and left it to reach temp with rad cap off.....glug glug sonding good, then i stopped the bike...still gurggling away I restarted....almost got a face full of steaming coolant...it was like mount etna on a bad day, NOT GOOD.(This must be the reson i keep losing all my fluid)

Now im thinking its got to be that the Thermostat isnt opening so time to get it out....4 off the bolts came out ok then i got around to the one on the top where the inlet hose is...now its so close to the alley housing i couldnt get a socket or ring spanner onto it properly...so on went the OPEN ENDED type....bad move...the bolt is seized and now sort of roundish...I was thinking of carefully filing it down a little and bashing a 9mm socket on it and giving that a go

Has anyone else got any idea's how i can get this sucker out?

Cheers in advance

MrB

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
That can be a tough one. Before you do any filing you might want to try a 3/8". You said you can't get a socket or closed end on it? After hosing it down with some penetrating oil you can also try tightening it a hair first before loosening.

Unfortunately, you might have to bite the bullet, pull the housing right out and drill the offending bolt out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Having gone through a motor removal all I can say is it's a bit of a crap shoot as to which bolts/nuts come out easy and which ones don't. You always get surprised. There's no rhyme or reason. I did throw lots of penetrating oil on every single bolt I was going to undo, and I think that saved me. Double drenching with 24 hours in between in some cases.

While there have been other threads on shaving down the bolt head by one size, try the penetrating oil first.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Impact can also help, in addition to the penetrating oil. Heat can help as well.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Not sure what you mean as you say you got 4 bolts out

but looking at the two types of thermostat brackets I have here

there are only 4 bolts that hold the thing in

theres a bolt that screws into a threaded boss on the bracket

though, perhaps you included that?

(Dont use it on mine, dunno what its for)

theres a short hold down bolt on the top near the hose

and a long one on the head fo the bracket

I guess you mean the top one?

I often use a small chisel or sacrificial flat bladed screwdriver

to move the stubborn or rounded off buggers

Often when you get them to move a wee bit they'll then come off quite easily

Done this loadsa times

the technique is to rest the tip of the 'chisel' on the not/bolt head pointing

at the centre then angle it away about 2/3 of the distance to the circumference

and give it a tap/whack/clout

the closer you can get the angle of attack to 90 degrees of the bolt axis

the better.

Once you get a 'bite' in the nut/bolt you can increase the angle closer to the edge

for a nice tangential effect.

Obviously once its out, you bin it and use a new or good one

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yep, chisels or center punches work very well and are cheap and common.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers chaps for your replies and tips, I will be trying the screwdriver/chisel effect when I get home from work, then let you know how i get on

Thanks again

MrB

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well chaps, the little bugger didnt want to play happy families so I have ended up removing the whole assembly...a mechanic mate popped over and has taken it away to his workshop to seduce it out of its hole.

A quick question about reassembly....will i have to replace the O-rings on the 2 pipes I had to undo and remove, or do you think i might get away with just bolting it all back together.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got the housing back with new bolt attached, only cost me a couple of Fosters...bargin. The inside of the housing looks rank so gonna give that a clean up before it goes back on....another quick question, would all the replacement O-rings i need be of the cx500 type? i would presume so..if so are they all the same across all of the bikes or do they vary....just so i know what to buy.

Thanks chaps

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
They all have certain stated dimensions

the 4 on the straight pipes are

O-RING (21.9X2.3)

the thermostat o ring is

O-RING (53.8X3.1)

the 2 between each elbow and head are

O-RING (23X2.8)

having said that, I and others resist the temptation to throw money

at the local Honda stealer and have O ring kits

(I have one metric one imperial) we get from Ebay and usually find summat

suitable to fit

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice one Reg, your a star....was going to go to Wemoto's as they are just down the road....they want 30 odd quid for a stat.....would i be better of matching one up from Halfords or something....is there a particular temp rating?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
dont think Wemoto do the o rings

I'm sure Shep and others have a cunning wheeze as regards

cheaper Stats from Halfords

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Either take the old one to Halfords and match up.Standard 82 Deg C opening temp.

Or they are the same as GL1000 and some other Hondas and Honda cars so a local car parts suppliers/Motor Factors(Yellow Pages).

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hey, found this on our 'Quick Reference' page. Don't know that it'll help anyone outside of North America though.

Cheap Thermostat.

NAPA – 535080

Stant – 45868

Autozone – 15868

I seem to recall something about a Civic t-stat working but that might have been the rad cap...

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Note:Honda Civics have different specs in different countries so the parts need to be sourced per country to be certain.

I think here in the UK some old Vauxhalls and Rovers used the same thermostats.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i got the Stat (£10) from my local Car Parts & Accesories....Just gave them the Honda part# and they found me an equiv, so that saved me £30 on the Wemoto price....got some silicon and some O-rings and waited for the rain to stop.

Started to put it all back together nicely then i hit another problem.....As the title says...NUTS, 2 of the nuts on the elbows have desided not to tighten up....get to finger tight then they slip, I have tried PTFE tape but thats not working.....is this where i have to rethread and source new larger bolts?...Im not a happy bunny

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
One of the bolt holes will need helicoilng.You need an M6x1.0mm helicoil kit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thread-Repair...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53e831f0b1

and this will be useful anyway as that is the most common thread size on the bikes/engines and the ones that have been abused the most.

The forward hole of the knuckles you can just use a Bolt and nut as it goes all the way through but better if you helicoil IMHO

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok ordered.....but what holds the helicoil in place? I am tempted to slip a 6.5/7.0 tap down the hole and go & get new bolts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts