Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has bought himself a 1982 CX500 Eurosport.

In generally good condition however we have hit a snag with the pro link suspension.

Referring to the Haynes manual page 156.

The pro link suspension bolt behind the side stand bracket (no 18) has seized into the bushes and due to the sidestand we cant hit it out.

Also and I suspect more seriously the seizure has led to the bolt hole in the frame wearing and now will need some sort of repair.

Does anyone have any suggestions how we can deal with this. Im more used to Kawasakis with twin shocks so am struggling a little.

Cheers

Pete

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi kkz1, its been 2 1/2 years since I rebuilt my ProLink,

Consider further dissembly, as a bigger unit, then you can deal with the afflicted part off the bike. Can you remove bolt # 23 and #2 to remove the rear shock and shock link together.?

Theres a collar/bushing in the top of the rear shock (#5) that also should be cleaned and regreased. The shock itself requires renewal of the oil seal (sometimes hard to obtain) and the shock oil itself. This was about ($65) 3 years ago at my Honda dealer.

Check the quick reference materials in the general section and you will find articles on Prolink rehab. Good luck

try these links tp://choppercharle...Post.aspx#76942

http://ofapars-.webs.com/prolink.htm

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hello and welcome. Where are you located? There may be someone in your neighborhood who can help.

I'm pretty sure i had to take the side stand off to get the pro-link out. I do remember taking a lot of things off, including the exhaust H-chamber.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My neighbor had that problem with his GL500 and took off the side stand and drilled a hole through the side stand mount and hammered the bolt out with a 4lb hammer a a long drift punch.

Also, sometimes when you put a large breaker bar on the bolt head on the brake pedal side, you can sometimes break the bolt loose and then hammer it out easier.

Be sure to put the nut back on before you start to hammer or you may mushroom the bolt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also drilled a hole through the sidestand bracket to drive the pin out with a punch. You'll probably have to really strike it, so depending on how good you are with a 3-4 pound hammer, you might want two people. I have multiple scars on my punch hand from slipping off...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a feeling Christmas may be spent in the garden shed!

Some great ideas and thanks for the feedback.

I lent him my old GT550 Kawasaki and he blew the head gasket on that too so im going to be busy.

Thanks again and I will keep the group informed about how we get on.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also any suggestions on how to build up the worn frame/pivot hole. I haven't access to welding gear so I was thinking of using "plastic metal". Has anyone any experience of using this?

Pete

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Also any suggestions on how to build up the worn frame/pivot hole. I haven't access to welding gear so I was thinking of using "plastic metal". Has anyone any experience of using this?

Pete
pete,there are loads of guys here very well qualified to answer,much better than me,but,the stress,s down there make your idea a no no

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
I don't have any experience with the prolink either, but what about the possibility of using a nylon type bushing in there? If the hole was capable of being enlarged just enough, maybe something like that could be fit in. That type of material might withstand the environment okay.

just a thought

Joel in the Couve

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Pete. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

The stuck Prolink bolt issue comes up fairly often. See this thread and the links referenced in it.

You have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
What part of Wiltshire? - I fly back to UK in a couple of days and will be staying in trowbridge. Removing seized prolinks is a pain, but easily acheivable with the right amount of persistance!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts