Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1982 GL500 I bought recently has a "Priority Lites" safety coupler installed. This device is intended to convert the rear turn signals into running lights, providing more visibility from the rear. The unit on my bike is acting weird (left light does not come on except as turn signal) and the right turn signal stops flashing when the rear brake is applied.

I have been unable to locate this device on the bike. Can anyone provide a hint as to where it may be hidden/located?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds like a cool feature. What I have found in the past though is corroded grounds at the base of the light bulb sockets them selves, and the ground inside the socket it's self can go bad too. If your grounds are dirty, they may only have enough connection while one bulb is lite. Try cleaning everything out to see if it helps you're Priority Lites system. I just finished a GL500I and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I would think it would be an addition near the tail lite.

Maybe Dave will chime in soon. He has done many more GL's than most here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a nice feature... when it works. However, apparently these things are prone to failure.

I found the Priority Lites gizmo (under the seat... DOH!). I cleaned all the connections and it worked; then it didn't work; then it worked; then it didn't. Don't you just love intermittent faults. Got tired of messing with it and removed the unit, reverting the rear signal lights to stock configuration. Perhaps I will try to find a replacement unit in the spring.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The issue with the signals only being used for signals - is that in North America the only 'running lights' on the back of a vehicle - MUST be RED.

Having the Orange signal lights stay on 'as running lights' contravenes the accepted standard for North America. You would think that 'what makes you seen better - should be accepted. Another idea I've heard of is making your existing running lights appear to 'pulse' which draws more attention to your back end and doesn't contravene this particular issue.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
What a lot of people have done is change the the socket or whole turn signal to the type that uses the 1157 bulb and then use the red LED replacement bulbs for the 1157s. The yellow lenses will be red with red bulbs.

If you look hard you can even find LEDs that have red running light with white turn signal bulb lights.

That way you have the law required red running lights with yellow turn signals.

Of course that means you need the LED flasher can which is in fact a timing device to flash the lights.

You can/should replace your front signal lights with LEDs if you do this conversion.

Make sure that you get bright LEDs as there are dim ones out there that can hardly be seen.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I recommend www.superbrightleds.com

They make totally bright stuff. I'm about to order the daytime running H4 bulbs for my added spot beams

1 - 7 of 7 Posts