Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I love this bike but promise I have not made love to it. I was going to put a filter on it but found this.

It has a grease consistency, I did try to light it but it would not flame up but when hot enough it does start popping like grease. What do you think is going on. Bike runs like a top.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Isn't that the crankcase breather tube? I'm not too good with the mechanics of pretty much anything, but I Think that it's normal for the crankcase breather to put out some gunk. That particular gunk I'm unsure of though.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
It's probably just a mixture of oil an water caught at the top of the hose making snot. Those breather holes are already at the top of the engine. If it didn't go up there you could easily flush it out with every oil change. Not a problem.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,480 Posts
Two things condense in the breather tube - evaporated oil and any moisture that happened to be in the crankcase. The fact that it's in the tube, and not in the engine, is a good thing.

R

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A bunch of short trips won't allow the engine to get hot enough to burn off the water that's condensed in the oil overnight.

People do this to their cars all the time. The rule is at least once a week and preferably more often you need to take a decently long trip to burn off all the water that collects in the oil, tranny fluid and exhaust system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A bunch of short trips won't allow the engine to get hot enough to burn off the water that's condensed in the oil overnight.

People do this to their cars all the time. The rule is at least once a week and preferably more often you need to take a decently long trip to burn off all the water that collects in the oil, tranny fluid and exhaust system.

Another reason to get this inspected so I can take longer rides. I feel better now, had never seen anything of the sorts and it was a bit concerning. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.